trademarking a band name

Started by rwings, 03-25-04 at 02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwings

Hello, I was told that I have to trademark a band name not copyright it. Does anyone know how to go about this and a estimate of what the cost would be. I would like not have to get a lawyer involved, is there a way to do it myself. Thanks,Rwings

Jade

QuoteHello, I was told that I have to trademark a band name not copyright it. Does anyone know how to go about this and a estimate of what the cost would be. I would like not have to get a lawyer involved, is there a way to do it myself. Thanks,Rwings
If you find out tell me, I would like to know too.
Jade

tabberone

www.uspto.gov

Check out their website.  You'll get a lot of answers there.  

Isaac

Instructions for how to carry out the mechanics of registering a trademark can be found at the USPTO web site.  www.uspto.gov.  You can do the registration on line.  I gave you the basic outline of what things need to be done, but I'm not sure that a novice is likely to get it right.  Maybe there are some guides (like a Nolo Press Book) that can give you a feel for what's involved so that you can make an informed decision about whether you want to do it yourself.

I'm not looking to get your business, but the PTO fees are high enough so that you don't want to throw away your money by doing something goofy.

Also you may get some ideas of what classes you want to register your trademark in by doing some searches on the PTO web site and seeing what other bands have done.  You'll pay a fee for each class you chose to apply for.
Isaac

rwings

Thanks for the great info Isaac, I didn't think you were trying to get my money :o) I'm just a struggling musician thats all, and was trying to find the cheapest way. Again thank you very much you have been most helpful.
Thanks Rwings

rwings

That's supposed to be a smiley face.

M. Arthur Auslander

Dear Rwings,

If you get it from tabberone, you have found someone that is even smarter than most lawyers. There is much that you can do youself BUT you must start with a basic understanding of the law and its subtleties.
M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®

M. Arthur Auslander

Dear rwings,

It just occured (sp) to me. You are not going to get free intellectual property advice or representation, from Legal Aid. It nice to save money but E arly L egal A dvice I s N ot E xpensive™.
M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com