Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 2573485 times)

bluerogue

• View Profile
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #7140 on: 02-06-18 at 01:10 am »

If you apply for 2 Positions ( electrical and computer) patent examiner, and get hired for one. Does that mean this is the final placement?
or final placement happen after completing patent training academy?

I found out my AU 1st day of academy. 
The views expressed are my own and do not represent those of the USPTO. I am also not your lawyer nor providing legal advice.

EngineeringStudent

« Reply #7141 on: 02-06-18 at 08:57 am »

johnHatcher. yes in Alexandria

johnthatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: 02-06-18 at 09:17 am »

EngineeringStudent,

When did you receive the offer ?  What is the starting date ?

Thanks.

EngineeringStudent

« Reply #7143 on: 02-06-18 at 11:37 am »

a few days ago. Start is in late March.

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: 02-06-18 at 12:31 pm »

Anyone here starting in Denver soon?
This comment: does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts from the author, not a well-researched treatise.  Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions you may have.

johnthatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: 02-07-18 at 02:24 am »

Just out of curiosity, what is your educational background and do you have any experience working in the private sector ?

Thanks.

EngineeringStudent

« Reply #7146 on: 02-07-18 at 10:15 am »

johnHatcher
I have a B.S Computer Engineering. 2 years industry experience + internship. Currently in Grad School.

skyuiuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: 02-07-18 at 03:57 pm »

Hi EngineeringStudent, I received the offer couple days ago, and I think we probably start at the same time as March 19.

EngineeringStudent

« Reply #7148 on: 02-07-18 at 05:38 pm »

ok cool

bmenpatentsearcher

• View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: 02-07-18 at 07:24 pm »

Hi EngineeringStudent, I received the offer couple days ago, and I think we probably start at the same time as March 19.

Was this for the job posted in late January? I haven't even had my qualifications confirmed or had an interview yet. I guess that's a bad sign?

EngineeringStudent

« Reply #7150 on: 02-07-18 at 08:19 pm »

That was for examiner positions posted in Sep,2017 and closed in Dec,2017. Be patient.

bmenpatentsearcher

• View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: 02-07-18 at 09:06 pm »

That was for examiner positions posted in Sep,2017 and closed in Dec,2017. Be patient.

Awesome, thank you for the response.

I wasn't expecting to get any updates until a week or two after the current posting closes (mid-March) but then I saw two posts talking about receiving offers but that makes a lot of sense. Thank you again.

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: 02-07-18 at 11:55 pm »

Awesome, thank you for the response.

I wasn't expecting to get any updates until a week or two after the current posting closes (mid-March) but then I saw two posts talking about receiving offers but that makes a lot of sense. Thank you again.
It is not uncommon for PTO examiner hiring to take up to 6 months.
This comment: does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts from the author, not a well-researched treatise.  Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions you may have.

bmenpatentsearcher

• View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: 02-08-18 at 04:01 pm »

I don't suppose any of you who got offers has any advice for resume writing or the interview?

I already saw the list of 4 questions they ask you during the interview on glassdoor and I was told that on my resume I should be sure to include much greater detail than I normally would in for application to a private sector job.

steelie

• View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: 02-08-18 at 11:57 pm »

I don't suppose any of you who got offers has any advice for resume writing or the interview?

I already saw the list of 4 questions they ask you during the interview on glassdoor and I was told that on my resume I should be sure to include much greater detail than I normally would in for application to a private sector job.
Some ideas ....

1. Positive attributes: "I am a focused individual, I follow directions, I like to work alone, I have good attention to detail".
2. Positive interests: "Researching technology sounds exciting, I hear you can flex your schedule -- that's appealing", "The legal-engineering dynamic of this job interests me".
3. Positive experiences: "I wrote some comp. programs, and the whole experience of working alone, grinding out code for long hours is something I found I enjoy, and would be applicable to this job".
4. Curtail your expectations:
a. "It's not a teamwork job, it's not a people job.
b. You will not learn about technology.
c. There is no "career ladder".
d. For most examiners, the job is ultimately mindless, repetitive searching, and writing (maybe exciting in the short-term).
e. Maybe not speak about any "legal aspirations", or advanced education (you're applying to be a grunt).
5. If you want to work in a particular technology area, then make your resume have those keywords , so some admin person will classify you in that art.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.