Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 2273499 times)

r0lf3cbn

Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #6885 on: 01-24-17 at 07:48 pm »

What worries me most about the PTO's future right now, is the climate science deniers might not be aware or care that the Department of Commerce is more than just NOAA.

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: 01-24-17 at 08:06 pm »

What worries me most about the PTO's future right now, is the climate science deniers might not be aware or care that the Department of Commerce is more than just NOAA.
What worries me the most is that you actually might believe that.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

abc123

• View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: 01-25-17 at 12:56 am »

After reading the Wikipedia entry for the new Secretary of Commerce, Wilbur Ross, I can understand why he is one of the least liked cabinet members by the general public. And it is not like they are generally well liked anyhow. It will be interesting to see how long Michelle Lee stays at the PTO.

r0lf3cbn

« Reply #6888 on: 01-25-17 at 02:34 am »

What worries me the most is that you actually might believe that.

Have your country's president telephone my country's president a few more times. Then you'll have something more important to worry about.

Jackoose

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6889 on: 01-27-17 at 05:21 pm »

I will say that as a non registered intern. the PTO was more helpful and knowledgeable than ANY government agency I've ever dealt with, or even private companies.   People actually answer the phone and get you to someone that actually has answers without having to go through menus for 2 hours then having someone cut the call ala IRS

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: 01-27-17 at 06:21 pm »

I will say that as a non registered intern. the PTO was more helpful and knowledgeable than ANY government agency I've ever dealt with, or even private companies.   People actually answer the phone and get you to someone that actually has answers without having to go through menus for 2 hours then having someone cut the call ala IRS
Hmm, the bar for service from federal agencies is kind of low.  I never really thought of it that way.  I guess the PTO is pretty customer friendly when compared like that.  Thank you for brightening my day!

abc123

• View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: 06-07-17 at 01:22 pm »

Anyone care to conjecture on who Trump will appoint as Director now that Michelle Lee has resigned?

« Last Edit: 06-07-17 at 01:28 pm by abc123 »

lazyexaminer

• View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: 06-07-17 at 01:39 pm »

Anyone care to conjecture on who Trump will appoint as Director now that Michelle Lee has resigned?

I heard someone suggest maybe Randy Rader, but he has a degree in English Literature, which would make him overqualified even by PTO standards in a Republican administration.

I know this post is simply an attempt at a political joke, but it seems wrong to say that the former judge is not "a person who has a professional background and experience in patent or trademark law" as 35 USC 3 requires. I don't think undergrad degree really matters at that level, particularly as you can be a trademark person and they have no special degree requirements.

Contrast 35 USC 6, which requires the APJs to have "competent legal knowledge and scientific ability."  If scientific ability was a requirement for Director they would have said so.
I'm not your examiner, I'm not your lawyer, and I'm speaking only for myself, not for the USPTO.

abc123

• View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: 06-07-17 at 05:36 pm »

The PTO deals with complex scientific and technical questions in which it is important that the personnel, including the Director, have a scientific background. In this respect, Michelle Lee was a breath of fresh air after the Bush appointees.

It is also disappointing for many examiners, some of whom have earned PhD's and spent a large portion of their life examining in a specific technical
area, to have someone waltz in and get all the glory without paying their dues. At least that is how many examiners felt under Rogan. So I think undergraduate degree actually does make a difference, even at that level.

It is nice that you cite the statute, but I think it is generally irrelevant to the real world arguments I am making. The statute cites the minimum qualifications, and, under the statute, I would say that some of the former Commissioners did not even meet its requirements. A better argument, one which was made by Rogan, is that they have to be confirmed by the Senate. But I am not buying that one either.

In fairness, one of the better Commissioners in years was Bruce Lehman, who came from a copyright background. So maybe I am wrong. Also, most of the great minds in patent law, like Giles Rich, did not have undergraduate science or engineering degrees. But Rich was not what at the time was called a Commissioner. If he were, I would have wanted even him to have the proper background. At the least, it sets a bad example to the rest of the examining corps, and says that scientific ability and credentials do not matter.

lazyexaminer

• View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: 06-08-17 at 10:17 am »

I don't really disagree with a lot of what you say, but I think there is a vast difference between someone like Rader and someone like Rogan. I was there under Rogan, and agree you as to what the examiners thought of him: it was mostly a roll eyes at the obvious political favor, and a feeling that Bush obviously must not really care about the PTO. Rader on the other hand has been an authority on patent law for longer than the vast majority of examiners have been on the job and anyone who follows the law at all would have heard of him. Credentials matter, but he has them in the patent field. I don't think most examiners would care that he has no science experience, at least I wouldn't, because obviously a Director is not examining and no examiner thinks they are going to work their way up to Director one day. Do Lockheed Martin's engineers care that the CEO has business and economics degrees and not an engineering degree?

I don't know how I feel about the ethical deal that ended his tenure or whether he'd be a good or bad Director, just that I think he'd be qualified.

In all, I do agree with you that a real patent lawyer who has experience examining and/or prosecuting would be preferable. It is one thing to know patent law, it is another to know how the office works.

Anyway, at the rate these lower appointments have been going I would be shocked if the position is filled any time soon.
I'm not your examiner, I'm not your lawyer, and I'm speaking only for myself, not for the USPTO.

ThomasPaine

• View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: 06-08-17 at 09:13 pm »

Rader would be a good choice.  But President Orangutan won't get around to appointing a PTO director any time soon.

abc123

• View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: 08-27-17 at 02:42 am »

PTO names new Director, Andrei Iancu.

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: 09-14-17 at 02:21 pm »

PTO is hiring patent examiners as of 9-11-2017, see USAJOBS.  I'm pretty sure there was a hiring freeze, so this is the first opening for examiners in about a year, if anyone is interested.

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/?k=patent%20examiner

bkk1057

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6898 on: 09-21-17 at 06:39 pm »

Is semiconductor processing in Electrical Engineering? Thx.

fewyearsin

• View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: 09-21-17 at 08:25 pm »

Is semiconductor processing in Electrical Engineering? Thx.
Yes.  TC 2800 (generally the EE tech center) has four parts: (1) Electrical Circuits and Systems; (2) Printing/Measuring and Testing; (3) Semiconductors/Memory; and (4) Optics.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.