Working for the USPTO

Started by JTripodo, 01-31-05 at 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MYK

Quote from: abc123 on 01-19-17 at 09:29 AM
Has anyone heard of a possible replacement for the PTO Commissioner?

Since Barnum and Bailey's is going out of business, they may be able to supply the necessary talent.
They stopped using elephants in 2012, so there's nothing to source from them.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

abc123

I was thinking more along the lines of circus clowns, but they would probably be overqualified. At any rate, it is a moot point, since Trump just froze Federal hiring, with limited exceptions, and the PTO does not appear to be one of the exceptions.

lazyexaminer

Quote from: abc123 on 01-24-17 at 12:07 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of circus clowns, but they would probably be overqualified. At any rate, it is a moot point, since Trump just froze
Federal hiring, with limited exceptions, and the PTO does not appear to be one of the exceptions.

Do you imagine the freeze applies to political appointees?
I'm not your examiner, I'm not your lawyer, and I'm speaking only for myself, not for the USPTO.

abc123

I thought they apply through USA Jobs like everyone else.

lazyexaminer

I don't know the mechanics of how political appointees officially "apply" for their positions, if at all.

But the Director is appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate. It seems pretty clear that the freeze is not applicable to those kinds of positions. Even a circus clown can see that.
I'm not your examiner, I'm not your lawyer, and I'm speaking only for myself, not for the USPTO.

abc123

The whole thing was a joke, examiner. But I am glad to see an examiner knows a little more than how to read line and column numbers. Now, back to your counts.

fewyearsin

Quote from: abc123 on 01-24-17 at 06:08 PM
The whole thing was a joke, examiner. But I am glad to see an examiner knows a little more than how to read line and column numbers. Now, back to your counts.
!! Microaggression against Examiners detected !!

Seriously, though, Examiners, patent attorneys, inventors, businesses - we're all in the same "who knows what's happening next" boat.
This comment does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts. I'm willing to learn, let me know if you think I'm wrong. Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions.

lazyexaminer

Back on point, I agree with fewyearsin. Nobody knows nothing except a very select few. I doubt the PTO is high on the list of priorities but who knows. We could be seen as an innovation increasing driver of business that must be promoted, or a dastardly government monopoly system that must be gimped. I don't think the President has made his views clear, though he does have a few trademarks.

r0lf3cbn

What worries me most about the PTO's future right now, is the climate science deniers might not be aware or care that the Department of Commerce is more than just NOAA.

MYK

Quote from: r0lf3cbn on 01-25-17 at 02:48 AM
What worries me most about the PTO's future right now, is the climate science deniers might not be aware or care that the Department of Commerce is more than just NOAA.
What worries me the most is that you actually might believe that.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

abc123

After reading the Wikipedia entry for the new Secretary of Commerce, Wilbur Ross, I can understand why he is one of the least liked cabinet members by the general public. And it is not like they are generally well liked anyhow. It will be interesting to see how long Michelle Lee stays at the PTO.

r0lf3cbn

Quote from: MYK on 01-25-17 at 03:06 AM
Quote from: r0lf3cbn on 01-25-17 at 02:48 AM
What worries me the most is that you actually might believe that.

Have your country's president telephone my country's president a few more times. Then you'll have something more important to worry about.

Jackoose

I will say that as a non registered intern. the PTO was more helpful and knowledgeable than ANY government agency I've ever dealt with, or even private companies.   People actually answer the phone and get you to someone that actually has answers without having to go through menus for 2 hours then having someone cut the call ala IRS

fewyearsin

Quote from: Jackoose on 01-28-17 at 12:21 AM
I will say that as a non registered intern. the PTO was more helpful and knowledgeable than ANY government agency I've ever dealt with, or even private companies.   People actually answer the phone and get you to someone that actually has answers without having to go through menus for 2 hours then having someone cut the call ala IRS
Hmm, the bar for service from federal agencies is kind of low.  I never really thought of it that way.  I guess the PTO is pretty customer friendly when compared like that.  Thank you for brightening my day!
This comment does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts. I'm willing to learn, let me know if you think I'm wrong. Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions.

abc123

Anyone care to conjecture on who Trump will appoint as Director now that Michelle Lee has resigned?

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com