Working for the USPTO

Started by JTripodo, 01-31-05 at 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

En-trance

Quote from: sban135 on 05-15-16 at 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info. The reason I'm asking is because I've seen mixed reviews on glass door, and rumors that the new push for quality has caused some examiners to be fired. Does anyone have any insight on that matter? I'm a recent graduate and worried that if I somehow get fired from the uspto, I wouldn't be able to find a job elsewhere.

I wouldn't worry too much about that (once you have past the probation period). It is a exhaustive and time-consuming process to get an examiner fired. There are multiple stages, and during each of these stages you'll be given a chance to renegotiate your status (e.g. if your production is low for one quarter, and you pull it up in the next quarter, then you wipe the slate clean). So, just focus on your work and your should be fine.
Any information provided in this post is my personal opinion, it does not in any way constitute legal advice

StarWind24

Yea, just called the Patent Hiring Center,and Mr. Hua told me that from what he heard, all the candidate should receive their offer now, for the DC office.

sban135

My friend who applied for EE and CE received a rejection for EE but no word yet for CE. I'm assuming he is either some sort of backup candidate or was forgotten by hr. Anyone have any idea?

StarWind24

well, I am in the same situation as your friend. I did call the CE HR couple times this week, just go into voice mail. I will keep calling tomorrow. In my experience, they should send out a rejection email for each position you applied....

BTW, do you know which TC interviewed your friend? I was interviewed by 2100.

sban135

We both had applied to the Dallas openings last October and they used those interview responses for this past job posting in Alexandria. I'm not sure if the interviewer makes a difference.

StarWind24

so you are saying that your status on USAJobs is "Referring to selecting official" since last October's interview, then you get an offer this month?

sban135

No, what I mean is that we both interviewed and were rejected for Dallas. Then we applied for the Alexandria posting and were never contacted for an interview. I heard interviews were good for six months from the time you interviewed, but not sure. Please post when you hear back about CE, and I'll do the same.

StarWind24

Oh I see. I didn't know interview was good for six month. Anyway, I was rejected from Dallas recruiting last year. Yea I will definitely share here if I heard anything. Just called the CE HR this morning. Voice mail again. Will try again this afternoon. If still the same, I guess I will call again tomorrow and leave "another" message.

sban135

Does anyone know how many they are hiring for round two? Do they typically hire more or less for the first cutoff date? Also, is it easier to get selected the second round? I would imagine it is harder since you'd be competing with the applicants from the first cutoff date plus any new applicants. Does anyone have any idea?

spacepolicepoliceman

If anyone out there applied for the EE Patent Examiner position in Detroit that closed on 5/11/16, let me know if you get any updates.  I applied for it, I'm an electronics engineer(GS13) for another government agency in the area.  I haven't received any updates yet but hopefully I have a good chance...

StarWind24

Yea I just received notice about my application was referred to selecting official for CE 07/09 in Alexandria. I guess this IS the second round of hiring, etc.

Lonewolf84

Quote from: StarWind24 on 05-20-16 at 10:45 PM
Yea I just received notice about my application was referred to selecting official for CE 07/09 in Alexandria. I guess this IS the second round of hiring, etc.

I just got that too but I'm wondering what it really means or if it is a glitch. I hope that it is another round of interviews but the reason I think about the glitch is because I also received an email stating that I wasn't selected back in the beginning of May.

The USPTO be pulling on my heart strings...

Lonewolf84

Quote from: jon2045 on 05-25-16 at 09:52 PM
hey lonewolf84
you mentioned in previous pages that you got the interview!
so which one youre waiting for now?

I did get the interview for VA. I interview back in mid April and contacted HR early May to see if there was any updates. I was told that there were no updates and then received a not selected email the next day. Wasn't the best day but didn't understand the whole no updated to not selected within the night.

Now I've received an email stated that I am once again referred to the selecting officials (hopefully a second round of hiring with the VA office) and might be contacted for another interview for the same position that I applied for. Whether or not I actually do interview is up for debate since some people say that previous interviews are kept for 6 months. So for me, I'm going to wait for next week to do any contacting of HR since I just don't want to jinx anything.

At the end of the day I'm just going to keep on re-applying until I get the job because I know its the perfect job for me. Self driven (always get my projects done before deadlines), love monotonous work (makes me more efficient), love work from home ability (don't care for a social environment), and love to research (main part of examining). Wish the interviews had more about the patent process since I know it so well already. Just need to get my foot in the door once and the rest will be history.

jimmykebe

Just got the referred to selecting official email, so off to the second round.

fewyearsin

Does anyone know why they haven't hired at the GS11 level for a while?  I know they did a few years back for IP-experienced applicants, but I haven't seen openings other than for GS7 and GS9 lately.  All of my anecdotal information is that the GS11 IP-experienced examiners did quite well, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't keep that program.
This comment does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts. I'm willing to learn, let me know if you think I'm wrong. Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions.

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com