Advice for years between college and law school

Started by knighttime, 12-27-09 at 07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knighttime

Hey guys,

I'm currently a junior at a top-5 university majoring in economics and minoring in computer science. I am interested in technology law, particularly relating to the internet. I currently am keen on attending law school, but I would like to work for a year or two beforehand because 1) I'm not 100% sure that law is for me and 2) my grades haven't been what I would've liked them to be, and I know getting some work experience and a good LSAT score can help make that better. What sort of jobs should I look into getting out of college? Would it be feasible to work in some sort of a research capacity at an IP/Technology law firm or will my lack of experience/strictly technical degree hold me back? Also, how long is too long when it comes to returning to school?

Thanks for the help.

klaviernista

With an economics background, you could potentially practice patent litigation (with a law degree), or work for a firm that provides damages calculations/expert testimony for patent litigation (or other types of litigation).  Capanalysis is but one example of an economics firm that provides litigation support services, including IP litigation support.

Regarding how long is too long before returning to school, it all depends on personal circumstances.  If you are single, have no kids, and relatively few financial obligations, than returning to school is a piece of cake.  Once you start piling on personal or financial responsibilities, it becomes much much harder.  From personal experience, I can say that going to law school while working full time is not an easy road . . . one I would not take if faced with the same choices again.

The long and short of it is that the sooner you go back to school, the easier it will be. 
This post is not legal advice.  I am not your attorney.  You rely on anything I say at your own risk. If you want to reach me directly, send me a PM through the board.  I do not check the email associated with my profile often.

knighttime

Thanks for the info man -

I will not have any major financial obligations and will be able to attend school full time, which should be good. Before I go to law school, what sort of job experience given my education background do you think would be useful if I'm interested in IP law?

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com