Domain Name Infringement?

Started by Allbidder, 07-28-09 at 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allbidder

Hi,  I'm thinking of starting a Forum for all the people who are Fans of Micheal Jackson

I have registered the domain   www.michaeljacksonforum.me

My question is ...would there be any problem using this name for my website?

JSonnabend

There shouldn't be any problems using his name in a forum, provided you don't suggest any affiliation with or endorsement by Mr. Jackson's estate.

- Jeff
SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com

Allbidder

Thanks Jeff,    ok so if I put a disclaimer on my site  ...saying something like  "This is NOT an Official Michael Jackson site"
would this be sufficient  or can anyone give me a better wording as a disclaimer.

Thanks,   Allbidder

MYK

"This site is not endorsed by or associated with any person, living or dead, who may or may not be connected with the famous dead rock musician known as Michael Jackson, his estate, heirs, assigns, pets, or attorneys.  No representation to the contrary by anyone posting here should be taken seriously.  Please don't sue us."

Or are you talking about the beer guy?
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Allbidder

JSonnabend

Unfortunately, the beer guy is deceased too.

While I fully recognize the recently departed Mr. Jackson's contributions to popular music (and his contribution to the record industry, which some say he single-handedly rescued after the post disco crash), personally, I more appreciate the earlier departed Mr. Jackson's contributions to society.

- Jeff
SonnabendLaw
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810

Spielman

Jeff normally you are very clear with your advice, but I need clarification please..are you talking about Jackson 5 earlier or MJ solo in the beginning?
Darren Spielman
www.ComplexIP.com
The information contained above should not be construed as legal advice.

MYK

Quote from: JSonnabend on 07-29-09 at 02:32 PM
Unfortunately, the beer guy is deceased too.

I've clearly been out of the loop. :'(  Alas.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

JSonnabend

Quote from: Spielman on 07-29-09 at 05:07 PM
Jeff normally you are very clear with your advice, but I need clarification please..are you talking about Jackson 5 earlier or MJ solo in the beginning?

I'm not sure which part of my post you're referring to.  Some have said that MJ's "Thriller" resuscitated the music biz after the crash of disco.

- Jeff
SonnabendLaw
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810

MYK

I was under the impression that by
Quotethe earlier departed Mr. Jackson's contributions to society
you were referring to Mr. Beer Hunter.

In any event, I'll have to go drink something Belgian next time I'm near civilization.

Quote from: Allbidder on 07-29-09 at 10:21 AM
Thanks for the wording! ;)
Hey, no problemo.

Spielman

Jeff I was just trying to be funny to see how far back you were referring to great MJ music.
Darren Spielman
www.ComplexIP.com
The information contained above should not be construed as legal advice.

JSonnabend

Funny?  This is a deadly serious topic <insert favorite emoticon here>.

I respect MJ (the singer) for what he produced, both alone and with the J5.  I understand that Thriller was a hugely influential album (and even begrudgingly admit that it has some good tunes on it).

Now, that said, it's the other MJ that I truly mourn for. 

- Jeff
SonnabendLaw
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com