Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

News:

We have updated the software.  Let us know if there are any issues.

Main Menu

Canadian comp sci degree - what are the chances to be approved?

Started by mrbob, 03-10-19 at 06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbob

Just wondering if anyone had any luck with a Canadian computer science degree getting approved to take the Patent Exam under Category A?
How strict are they that the CS program has to be ABET accredited? For instance, I read somewhere that some top US programs like Cornell are not even ABET accredited.  Does it really matter to the OED?

Thanks

MYK

If the degree is not ABET-accredited, you have to apply through Category B.  You will also need to go through the foreign degree approval process.

Note that Cat B requires physics and either chemistry or some other science, I forget which (maybe it's just more physics).  If you don't already have these classes, you can take them at a community college or wherever, as long as the classes would count as college coursework.  High school AP credits might count if your university gave you credit for them.  Also note that these classes must include a lab component.

In other words, you're going to have to talk to OED and provide them with an absolute ton of paperwork including xeroxing all of the course descriptions out of the course handbooks for each course you took in the semester that you took them.  It will take 2-4 extra months.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

HwkiMol

I wouldn't jump right into applying under Category B.  Instead, apply as if you're expecting to be accepted under Category A and make them tell you otherwise.

My bachelor's is in computer science & engineering, so it didn't exactly fit any of the Category A degrees to begin with.  Plus, because of some historical changes in the name of the degree program (I graduated in the early 90s), I couldn't prove that the program was ABET-accredited at the time I earned my degree. 

Despite all of that, I only included my transcripts with my application; no Xeroxes of old course catalogs, no course descriptions, nothing like that.  I was approved to take the exam without having to submit anything else, and without any unusual delay.

The foreign degree approval in your case will probably add some extra time and paperwork, but don't voluntarily submit to extra pain by applying under Category B just because your "Category A" degree might not have been accredited.

Toot Aps Esroh

Noting how it is a mixed bag when it comes to ABET accreditation and well-regarded programs, I wonder if the OED is maybe taking a "soft touch" approach now vs. 10 or 15 years ago?

Maybe this requirement has outlived its usefulness, but it's not my area so I could be wrong.  But there are no special accreditation requirements for chem, physics degrees, are there?
I got nothing to say here.  Y'alls all already know all this.

Le tigre n'a pas mangé la pellicule de plastique.

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com