Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

News:

We have updated the software.  Let us know if there are any issues.

Main Menu

Vintage label image public domain if business is still around?

Started by Mis M, 01-07-22 at 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mis M

Hi, I want to use a vintage image from a soap label that I've found on a website that holds vintage labels. The creator of the website scans them in from antique books etc that's she's collected and says they are free to use. Lets say it's from 1910, I'm in the UK and our law says that it is public domain after 70 years of the authors death or if the author is unknown 70 years from publication. Also it says 'Artworks that are made in an industrial process and marketed in sufficient numbers may only be protected for a shorter period of 25 years. Copyright in typographical arrangements of a published edition lasts for 25 years from the end of the year in which the edition was first published'. Are they talking about something that's been printed like a label?

What I also wanted to know is if that soap label company was still around (I don't think it is but I'm trying to cover everything) do they still own copyright of that label or are they subject to the same laws? For instance the company Chanel, if it was an old perfume label of theirs do they hold the copyright still or is it public domain after 70 years of publication or 25 years because it was printed?

I am going to be selling my image as a digital download, it wil have some changes made to it with different wording but I'm just trying to cover myself properly and I'm finding it a bit confusing. It's pretty impossible to find out who owns these vintage labels or who the author is.

One more thing, am I right in thinking that the copyright law that applies to you is based on what country you are in not where the image was created?

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com