Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

News:

We have updated the software.  Let us know if there are any issues.

Main Menu

Working for the USPTO

Started by JTripodo, 01-31-05 at 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapshot

I've never quite understood the obsession with working overtime by examiners.  I generally don't want to work more than 80 hours every two weeks, and I can typically hit 110% or close to it during that time.

ex-aminer?

Quote from: snapshot on 04-10-21 at 09:39 AM
I've never quite understood the obsession with working overtime by examiners.  I generally don't want to work more than 80 hours every two weeks, and I can typically hit 110% or close to it during that time.

I have no idea what the 110% bonus is.  Or is there none until 120%?

In any event 110% is 16% more than 95%.  Or 13 more hours on 80 hours.  I can guarantee that 13 hours for 26 biweeks of 338 extra hours is vastly more pay than those silly carrot bonuses.

You do you though, save those OT hours for us!

snapshot

110% bonus is 5% salary.

My point is, I don't want to spend 13 extra hours every biweek working (which I can't do anyway because of my current step).  Yes working max OT would be more money than the bonus.  But I don't get the point of spending so much time working when there are other things to do.

ishannon

Quote from: snapshot on 04-14-21 at 12:15 AM
110% bonus is 5% salary.

My point is, I don't want to spend 13 extra hours every biweek working (which I can't do anyway because of my current step).  Yes working max OT would be more money than the bonus.  But I don't get the point of spending so much time working when there are other things to do.

Isn't it fairly well known that Examiners routinely convert excess "counts" into overtime pay?  That is, Examiners do not actually spend extra hours working unless they can't make production.

lazyexaminer

Quote from: ishannon on 04-14-21 at 06:12 AM
Isn't it fairly well known that Examiners routinely convert excess "counts" into overtime pay?  That is, Examiners do not actually spend extra hours working unless they can't make production.

Regardless of what is routine, some people might find it unethical to sign a statement saying "I worked these hours" when they did not, in fact, work those hours.
I'm not your examiner, I'm not your lawyer, and I'm speaking only for myself, not for the USPTO.

steelie

Quote from: lazyexaminer on 04-14-21 at 06:33 AM
Quote from: ishannon on 04-14-21 at 06:12 AM

Regardless of what is routine, some people might find it unethical to sign a statement saying "I worked these hours" when they did not, in fact, work those hours.
The PTO tries to have it both ways. Both quota work and hourly work.

These are somewhat contradictory expectations.

The PTO even admits in their proposed lowering of CPC symbol times that many examiners get way more time than they need.

I was told that front loading is OK. That it's OK to turn in production early, and then "coast".

Maybe the ethical thing to do is to claim overtime for early production (later hours not worked), because otherwise, examiners may apply early production to regular hours not worked.

It seems ridiculous to think quota expectancy and hours expectancy will perfectly align.

Likely, every examiner claims hours not worked, and every examiner works hours not claimed.

bluerogue

Quote from: steelie on 04-16-21 at 11:31 PM

Likely, every examiner claims hours not worked, and every examiner works hours not claimed.

The 80 hours is probably some OMB mandate and we can't be on true piecemeal work.  I look at my hours this way, as long as I'm logged in, I'm working and I make sure to be logged in at least 80 hours.  Sometimes I may be looking at my phone or looking at my personal email.  Everyone does that in person too.  Same with chatting with my friends via IM.

In terms of actual searching, OA writing, etc. time, I'd say it varies considerably depending on what cases hit my docket that biweek.  As the office likes to say with respect to our time when it comes to claims over 3/20 and how we don't get extra time for them, it all evens out in the end.
The views expressed are my own and do not represent those of the USPTO. I am also not your lawyer nor providing legal advice.

vercingetorix

Quote from: steelie on 04-16-21 at 11:31 PM
The PTO even admits in their proposed lowering of CPC symbol times that many examiners get way more time than they need.
Was there ever a boss in the history of the world who didn't think employees were overpaid, underworked? And this is the PTO we are talking about. Anyone who gets a little promotion (deserved or not) such as to 15 usually suddenly looks on underlings with a jaundiced eye.

fewyearsin

Quote from: vercingetorix on 12-02-21 at 02:29 AM
Was there ever a boss in the history of the world who didn't think employees were overpaid, underworked? And this is the PTO we are talking about. Anyone who gets a little promotion (deserved or not) such as to 15 usually suddenly looks on underlings with a jaundiced eye.
For the GS-15s, I think it might be a bit of "the grass is greener".  Primaries can make more than the GS-15s by working a bit of overtime/bonus, and Primaries have unparalleled flexibility and predictable workloads.  I've heard of a few SPEs / PTAB judges returning to examining after a short stint at those positions.  YMMV.
This comment does not represent the opinion or position of the PTO or any law firm; is not legal advice; and represents only a few quick thoughts. I'm willing to learn, let me know if you think I'm wrong. Seek out the advice of a competent patent attorney for answers to specific questions.

ThomasPaine

"I've heard of a few SPEs / PTAB judges returning to examining after a short stint at those positions."

Rob Clarke lasted less than a year on PTAB before skedaddling it back to a useless, know nothing, do nothing GS-15 gig.  Why work for GS-15 money when you can have a job with zero requirements?

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com