Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Incomprehensible OA's and patents  (Read 2039 times)

Warren Barquist

• View Profile
    • Email
Incomprehensible OA's and patents
« on: 04-07-17 at 06:27 pm »

I passed the patent bar awhile ago.  Btw, I never studied patent law in school.  These patents and OA's are sooo incomprehensible.  PLEASE, I need one or two good handbooks on PATENT PROSECUTION.  ANY advice will be appreciated.

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: Incomprehensible OA's and patents
« Reply #1 on: 04-08-17 at 04:20 am »

If you've passed, you should know at least the basics about how to figure out what an OA is saying and what your argument options are.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Toot Aps Esroh

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 04-08-17 at 01:08 pm »

While I haven't read either, lurking here over the last while I've seen frequent recommendations to a book by a Mr. Pressman "Patent It Yourself" (inventor-facing, but apparently walks the inventor through how to handle patent application rejections; maybe a little dated vis-a-vis the AIA) and to one by Mr. Slusky called "Patent Lawyer's Guide".

still_learnin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-12-17 at 11:41 am »

I passed the patent bar awhile ago.  Btw, I never studied patent law in school.  These patents and OA's are sooo incomprehensible.  PLEASE, I need one or two good handbooks on PATENT PROSECUTION.  ANY advice will be appreciated.

I only know of two books on patent prosecution. Both are expensive.

The first is suitable for beginners:
U.S. Patent Prosecutors Desk Reference by Graham and Marlow
http://store.lexisnexis.com/products/us-patent-prosecutors-desk-reference-skuusSku-us-oxf-04649-Softbound
I wasn't a big fan of the 1st edition, but I was an experienced prosecutor by then, so my viewpoint was different from someone just starting out. 

The second is a multi-volume treatise, definitely not for beginners:
Patent Prosecution: Law, Practice and Procedure by Donner
https://www.bna.com/patent-prosecution-law-p17179874147/
I have this one (bought it used, but still not cheap), and find it a valuable reference.
« Last Edit: 04-12-17 at 03:30 pm by still_learnin »
The above is not legal advice, and my participation in discussions on this forum does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Robert K S

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-12-17 at 12:24 pm »

I have used and liked the Donner treatise, which I think might be three or more volumes in its latest edition, but it's not for beginners.  Find Patent It Yourself or Faber on Mechanics of Patent Claim Drafting at a library.
This post is made in the context of professional discussion of general patent law issues and nothing contained herein may be construed as legal advice.

still_learnin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-12-17 at 03:29 pm »

I have used and liked the Donner treatise, which I think might be three or more volumes in its latest edition, but it's not for beginners.  Find Patent It Yourself or Faber on Mechanics of Patent Claim Drafting at a library.

I read the OP's "prosecution" narrowly -- how to argue rejections -- and didn't think of claim drafting. But amending claims is, of course, a huge part of prosecution. So, yeah, I agree that Faber would be a good resource for prosecution.
The above is not legal advice, and my participation in discussions on this forum does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Robert K S

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-12-17 at 03:44 pm »

It's all interrelated.  If you read Faber it's mostly about prosecution/litigation because the idea is to draft claims that don't make the same mistakes that killed the claims according to the PTAB/courts.

Plus once you start to understand how claims are drafted and why/how they need to be supported in the spec, you start to grasp why specifications are written the way they are.
This post is made in the context of professional discussion of general patent law issues and nothing contained herein may be construed as legal advice.

Warren Barquist

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 04-15-17 at 11:54 pm »

Thanks everyone for your insights!

ExaminerEsq

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06-06-17 at 10:20 pm »

You could always find a patent of interest to you (e.g., an iPhone patent) and read the file wrapper on PAIR.  I would read the spec, drawings, and claims to get a sense of the invention.  Then read the office action and download the cited references from Google Patents or another free patent pdf site.  Try to understand how the examiner is rejecting the claims.  Then read the response from the applicant to see what arguments were made in response and how the claims were amended.  Think to yourself, would you make similar amendments?  Read through the back-and-forth between applicant and examiner. Do this for a couple of patents and you'll get a sense of how prosecution works.

jothya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06-09-17 at 12:01 pm »

I was in similar shoes when I first started.  I was at a small firm run by a patent agent, and got very little guidance on how to traverse rejections.  I bought Faber [http://www.pli.edu/Content/Treatise/Faber_on_Mechanics_of_Patent_Claim_Drafting/_/N-4lZ1z11d7q?Ns=sort_title%7c0&ID=262323], which looks like it's on the 7th edition, and found it to be a great resource.  Also, like ExaminerEsq suggested, I found reading IFW's for patents and applications very helpful with organizing a response to an Office action.  A whole ago I came across Patent Box [https://www.thepatentbox.com/], which, with a free account, allows you limited ability to search through file wrappers using search terms - you may want to spend some time there too.

ChrisWhewell

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
    • Searches, spec writing, prosecution & other deeds.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 06-10-17 at 10:12 am »

seek a mentor or a tutor, and go over real live cases with them.  Experience is the best teacher.  Are you a member of any state bar ?
Chris Whewell
www.patentsearcher.com
Notice:   NOTHING IN THIS MESSAGE SHALL BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE.  NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ARE MADE WITH RESPECT TO ANY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE AND PARTICULARLY IN REFERENCE TO ITS ACCURACY OR SUITABILITY FOR ANY PURPOSE.

Warren Barquist

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 01:57 am »

Thx again for all these great pieces of advice.  This blog is the absolute best.  I cannot thank u all enough.  Yes, I'm a mbr of NY and NJ bars.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.