Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Can I get in trouble for using unique words/names from other video games?  (Read 255 times)

TheNoobieWaffle

• View Profile

I am developing my own video game. I have been looking online about how similar my game could be to other games. It seems that as long as you write your own code and create your own assets even if they resemble some from another game they are yours. No problems there. But here is my question: can I use a word in my game that is a unique word that only appears in one other game/series? For example: the game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has a race of cat-like humanoids called 'khajit'. The word or an idea of khajit is made by Bethesda, and no one else uses it. Can I use the work Khajit in my own game, or can I get in legal trouble (in the case where I have made my own assets (models, textures) that resembles a cat-like race)?

EDIT: Using TESS, there is no trademark on 'khajit'. There is trademarks on 'the elder scrolls' and 'skyrim'.
« Last Edit: 09-23-17 at 04:42 pm by TheNoobieWaffle »

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile

If you copy major elements of their characters, then yes, they can sue you over it.  The Sir Arthur Conan Doyle estate was still suing people over writing Sherlock Holmes short stories up until a few years ago;  enough of the copyrights have expired now (as a result of which they lost a major lawsuit) that they are no longer able to protect the characters, and so you are now seeing hundreds of writers doing Holmes stories, most badly.

Copying the names ("khajiit", note spelling) and major visual elements ("cat-like race") would be more than enough to sue you over.  As to whether they would win or not, I wouldn't opine -- but you're still going to be out a few hundred thousand dollars defending yourself.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 20 queries.