Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: What can i do about copied wall sticker designs and images  (Read 428 times)

chipm9

• View Profile

Hi all,

I run a small business in the UK selling wall stickers worldwide via an ecommerce website.  I have found today that a Chinese company are selling many of my own designs on Aliexpress and have blatantly not only copied my designs but are also using all the images that I created and many of my descriptions and sizes !!!

I have not taken out a copyright or anything else for any of these designs but was wondering if there is anything I can do to stop them being sold against my wishes ??

Any advice is much appreciated,

Many thanks , Mat

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
Re: What can i do about copied wall sticker designs and images
« Reply #1 on: 08-06-17 at 09:21 am »

I have not taken out a copyright or anything else for any of these designs
Copyright is automatic nowadays as soon as your design is "fixed in a tangible medium".  You may need to REGISTER your copyright with the UKIP(*) office before you can do anything further, though.  I don't know if Alibaba/AliExpress requires that you show a registration certificate before you can do a takedown.

(*) the other one, although Nigel would be great for this too

Anyway, step one is to look up AliExpress' contact information and rules for takedowns, then follow them.  They used to ignore takedown demands, but a couple of years ago they supposedly got better about it.  It may be easier to go after the infringer for using your promotional photos rather than the design itself since you can show that they're an exact match.  If AliExpress does take down the offending listings, you will probably have to play Whack-A-Mole for a while against "new" sellers.

Unfortunately, actually suing the infringer is probably more expensive than it would be worth to you unless you're a Sanrio or Disney level company, although you could try to do that too.  If you want to sue, I can recommend a firm.
"The life of a patent solicitor has always been a hard one."  Judge Giles Rich, Application of Ruschig, 379 F.2d 990.

Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

chipm9

• View Profile
Re: What can i do about copied wall sticker designs and images
« Reply #2 on: 08-19-17 at 05:38 am »

Thank you very much for the info, I messaged the two offenders I found and asked them to take down all the copied listings and it seems, at least for now, that they have complied !

I will have to track them from now on to make sure they don't get put straight back on !

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 20 queries.