Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New registrations are now permitted.

Author Topic: patent pending, looking to sale or license  (Read 1008 times)

s-n-o-ring

• View Profile
    • Email
patent pending, looking to sale or license
« on: 02-26-12 at 05:31 pm »

Hi everyone, :)
 I'm new here; but I figured who better to ask, then fellow inventors for help.
My s-n-o-ring is pending. I'm looking for the right company that would help present this to interested companies.
I have heard that at this stagg, me paying for my patent. That a legitimate company should ask me for a persentage of my patent.
Is this correct? Or should I hire someone? If so, who or what type of company and how much?
Thank you for your time and interest. I will be checking out this new found information line.....
www.s-n-o-ring.com
            ::)

I do have a lawyer, for my patent.
I'm writing here, for ideas or leads, to  a reputable company,  to take my patent to the next stagg.
I am now ready with patent application papers (filed 12/17/2010), draft, prototype, and photos. To hire the right company for their services.
I'd like to add I'm located in the Los Angeles area. It would be nice to work with a company, I can drive to.
Plus, I would like to look in the eyes, of who I hope to do future business with.
I think that would be a safe start...Any leads or ideas, would be most helpful.
« Last Edit: 02-26-12 at 09:13 pm by s-n-o-ring »

LMP.IP

• View Profile
Re: patent pending, looking to sale or license
« Reply #1 on: 10-29-12 at 09:28 am »

When you say, "patent pending" do you mean that you have received an issued Provisional Patent, or you have applied for and are waiting for the grant, of a Utility Patent?

For some reason, everyone gives the advice that, "You have Intellectual Property, and now a company should pay you for it." But in fact, this is not the case. Companies who are looking to license a product is looking to license just that, a product. They generally want to see previous sales trends, size of the target market, research surrounding the product, etc. The value that your product holds is in sales, not necessarily intellectual property.

If I were an investor, looking to invest in a product- would I put money in something that has intellectual property, but no sales proving that the investment will return value. Or, would I put money into something that has intellectual property and a 3 year sales trend?

If you have not yet found a company in your area to work with, let us know and we could schedule a meeting for you to talk further with one of our managing partners. www.licensemyproduct.com

All the best!

Yak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-30-12 at 08:24 am »

s-n-o-ring,

It is advisable to be very wary of companies that want you to pay an upfront fee for their services, when the services are intended to find a prospective licensee for your product, i.e., your patent.  Too many of these types of companies do not provide the success they imply or promise during the sales presentation and at the end of the day, you will have spent a lot of money with no return. 

Be aware that you never receive an issued provisional patent.  If you filed your application in Dec. 2010 and it is still pending, you must have filed a non-provisional (utility) patent application that will be examined in due course. Your patent lawyer will help you navigate the prosecution of the application. 

As was pointed out, prior sales is the best indicator of future sales.  You may be better off using the money you would be spending on a company to find a licensee on getting a run of product made, selling them, and proving a market for the product.  Many investors will be interested in a product that has some proprietary matter, i.e., a patent, which can be enforced or licensed to a third party. 

Good luck.
Not legal advice... Batteries are not included... Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental... Eating raw or undercooked meat, poultry, eggs or seafood poses a health risk.

JimIvey

• Forum Moderator
  • Lead Member
    • View Profile
    • IveyLaw -- Turning Caffeine into Patents(sm)
« Reply #3 on: 10-30-12 at 12:32 pm »

When you say, "patent pending" do you mean that you have received an issued Provisional Patent, or you have applied for and are waiting for the grant, of a Utility Patent?

Of course, there's no such thing as an issued provisional patent.  There are only provisional applications for a utility patent, and many of those aren't worth the paper they're printed on, unless you file electronically.

Regards.
--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Friends don't let friends file provisional patent applications.

Oh, Crud

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-30-12 at 04:33 pm »

... There are only provisional applications for a utility patent, and many of those aren't worth the paper they're printed on, unless you file electronically.

;)
Dry Humor Of The Day Award Winner
 ;)
Disclaimer: Tiger Did Not Consume Plastic Wrap. This disclaimer does not cover accident, lightning, flood, tornado or angry wives.

MYK

• Lead Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-30-12 at 09:49 pm »

What the hell is an "issued Provisional Patent"??

... There are only provisional applications for a utility patent, and many of those aren't worth the paper they're printed on, unless you file electronically.

;)
Dry Humor Of The Day Award Winner
 ;)
<golf clap/> Well played.
Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer.  Therefore, this does not constitute legal advice.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.