Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are looking for moderators.  Message the admin if interested.

Author Topic: Via the USPTO, refrain from installing Java 6 Update 29 and Java 7  (Read 8898 times)

jothya

• View Profile

Just and FYI for anyone who may not be aware that is this a potential issue for any EFS user.

From the USPTO
Please refrain from installing Java 6 Update 29 and Java 7
Java 7 (released on 7/28/11) and Java 6 Update 29 (released on 10/18/11) are incompatible with the current Entrust software version used by EFS-Web and Private PAIR for authentication. Unlike previous Java updates which were backwards compatible with Entrust authentication software, these particular updates require a software patch. The USPTO immediately contacted Entrust and received the necessary software patch for Java 6 Update 29 a few days later. The USPTO then commenced testing to ensure that EFS-Web and Private PAIR would work properly with the Entrust software update. At the time of this communication, the testing of EFS-Web and Private PAIR is near completion and the fix for Java 6 Update 29 is expected to be deployed into production within a week. The USPTO is still working with Entrust to test the Java 7 patch.

As soon as the problem was identified, the USPTO posted an advisory to the public via EFS-Web and Private PAIR announcement pages. Furthermore, the same advisory was posted within EFS-Web and Private PAIR systems upon login to warn users not to accept the latest Java update. In retrospect, due to the severity of this problem, the USPTO should have sent an email notification to all e-Commerce e-Alert subscribers and provided more detailed information along with the advisory announcement.

If you are unable to authenticate to EFS-Web and Private PAIR due the affected Java updates, please contact your IT department or follow the instructions provided at the Oracle URL below to uninstall the affected Java update and install the supported Java 6 update 26.

Applicants who have installed Java 7 or Java 6 update 29 will have the following error in their Java console:

Error authenticating user com.entrust.m.b: TruePassIOException: INCORRECT_STATE (AuthenticationServlet)
The most recent compatible version is Java 6 update 26. It can be downloaded from the following link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html#jre-6u26-oth-JPR

Applicants should select the "Windows Offline Installation" download option.

Contact the Patent EBC at 1-866-217-9197 (toll-free) or ebc@uspto.gov if you need further assistance.

alexemil5

• View Profile

Great info... I have downloaded from link...
Thanks for your post.

JimIvey

• Forum Moderator
  • Lead Member
    • View Profile
    • IveyLaw -- Turning Caffeine into Patents(sm)

I haven't been able to get EFS web on Linux to work properly for a while.  What versions of Java is everybody out there using?

Applicants should select the "Windows Offline Installation" download option.

Hmm....  For Linux too?  ;-)

Regards.
--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Friends don't let friends file provisional patent applications.

BlueLotus

• View Profile
    • Email

Oh man! So that is what caused the system error for me. I got an email about the Java 6 Update and I have done the same from the link which came through the e-mail. I have the EFS-Web version installed on my system. After the updates, now my system is not booting up. I have called the local technician and asked them to come by next week.

Thanks

JimIvey

• Forum Moderator
  • Lead Member
    • View Profile
    • IveyLaw -- Turning Caffeine into Patents(sm)

That's an old notice.  I'm running Java 7 Update 21 without problems. 

According to the PAIR Notices, Java 7 Update 45 is now okay.

http://www.uspto.gov/patents/process/search/public_pair/announce/

Regards.
--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Friends don't let friends file provisional patent applications.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.