Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New registrations are now permitted.

Author Topic: Working for the USPTO  (Read 1288140 times)

slapsgiving

• View Profile
Re: Working for the USPTO
« Reply #5205 on: 04-24-12 at 01:58 pm »

:-\ Rejected @ BioSci GS-9 today.
Still waiting for GS-11, but doubtful b/c I have no IP experience  :-[
Same here. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of these digital notifications would occur at the same time?

Biology-grrrrl

• View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: 04-24-12 at 02:45 pm »

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!
GS-11 Not selected.

What are they looking for?
Could people selected chime in?

THX

Biology-grrrrl

• View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: 04-26-12 at 12:28 pm »

Has anyone received an offer for GS9/11 Biological Sciences closing date 2/20 interviews on or around March 28?

Gatorbull84

• View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: 04-26-12 at 01:09 pm »

I wasn't selected either. Not really sure what they are looking for

slapsgiving

• View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: 04-27-12 at 03:31 pm »

Spoke with the hiring contact, Ron Taylor, listed on the Biological Sciences Patent Examiner GS9/11 posting. He told me that everyone that isn't selected has already been notified. I told him that I wasn't selected for the GS9 but that my GS11 posting still said that I was referred. He then repeated himself and asked me if I understood what he meant. I thanked him and he said, "Looks like we'll be speaking together just as soon as they finish the final adjudication of the candidates."

So, unless he was pulling my leg it sounds like everyone under the biological sciences CP-2012-0106 GS9/GS11 posting that still has a status of "Application referred to the Selecting Official" has a new jobby job!

Vanilla Ice

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5210 on: 04-29-12 at 01:27 pm »

They are picking up 18-20.  So, top 20%.  It is a rubber stamp because the person(s) interviewing you is almost never the person hiring you, they often aren't even in your technical area.  The person hiring you is a different SPE and the relevant director for your area.  They base their decision mostly off your resume, and how the experience on it fits their needs (whether it matches an area they need to fill).  Your degree types are extremely important, veteran status gives a large boost, a lot of IP experience gives a large boost, and a JD/patent bar gives a small boost.

I wouldn't assume you won't be interviewed by your future SPE. I was interviewed by my current SPE who has been there 20 years.

For those that were not selected, did you check the GS 7 box? A GS 7 is actually preferable over a GS 9 or 11 if you have no experience IMHO.

john122

• View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: 05-01-12 at 07:06 am »

General question about the benefits provided by the USPTO for patent examiners.

I currently work for a boutique firm prosecuting patents, and I'm thinking about making a career change.

I have a very good feeling that if I submitted an application for an examiner position, the USPTO would hire me, either as a GS7 or GS9.

However, I have some questions about the benefits that the USPTO is currently providing to new examiners.

1) Does the USPTO benefits include medical, eye, and dental insurance? And what is the monthly price for each insurance?

2) Does the USPTO offer medical, eye, and dental insurance for the parents of examiners?

3) If I get hired as a GS7, Step10, what will my paycheck look like every month after deducting these insurance from my paycheck?

4) If I get hired as a GS9, what will my paycheck look like every month after deducting these insurance from my paycheck?

5) If I get hired as a GS11, what will my paycheck look like every month after deducting these insurance from my paycheck?

I'm trying to figure out whether my potential USPTO paycheck will be significantly lower than my current "boutique" monthly paycheck.

Based on this information, I'm going to decide whether to submit an application for a position at the USPTO.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mk1023

• View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: 05-01-12 at 10:11 am »

Of course examiners get health insurance. There are lots of different options so prices vary. Health plan I have costs $41.39 per biweek. I have Kaiser Permanente. Dental plan costs 13.82 per biweek. I do not have eye insurance.

I've never heard of health plans covering someone's parents. As far as I know the USPTO health plan options don't do that either.

You're missing a couple of other nonstandard deductions. You'll also have to pay .8% towards retirement plan and 15.60/biweek for life insurance.

As for questions 3-5, you should be comparing what you'd expect to earn at your current job in five years to a GS-14 salary.

plex

• View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: 05-02-12 at 07:50 am »

You can voluntarily waive the life insurance.

See:

http://www.termland.com/special_life_insurance/federal_employees_life_insurance_alternatives.html
http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/reference/federal/info4.asp#cancel

I would not recommend waiving it if you have a wife and/or dependents, coverage is several multiples higher if you are under 45 at the same cost.  For those without dependents,  there usually isn't much of a reason to have it, also, it is only subsidized by 33%, so it isn't heavily subsidized like with health insurance/dental/vision, which can be a 60-80% subsidy. I'm going to do the Aetna HDP with HSA at $43.44 a biweek, automatically covers dental checkups, eyecare, and gives you $750/year in your HSA.  Ends up only costing $379.44/year, premiums tax free.
« Last Edit: 05-02-12 at 08:46 am by plex »

john122

• View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: 05-02-12 at 12:27 pm »

I currently make $75k right now, and I expect that I will be making close to $85k if I were to stay at this same boutique firm.

I would probably stay at this firm because there's a balance between work and social/personal life.  So, at the end, I'll probably be capped at $85k.

I know that I can make much more moving to a larger firm, but at these firms, there is very little balance between work and social/personal life.

I'm looking to find a place where I can make close to $100K, and still have a life outside of the office, which I assume that the USPTO can satisfy.

If I were to work at the USPTO as a GS-7 or a GS-9, how much will I be making every month after taxes, insurance (health, dental, eye, life for myself and wife), thrift saving plan, etc.?

The reason why I'm asking is to see whether my paycheck can support myself and my wife, who will probably have a hard time finding work in the DC area.

Any approximation of how much a month I can make as a GS-7 or a GS-9 will be a great help in my decision.

Thanks again for all the replies.

plex

• View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: 05-02-12 at 01:18 pm »

At $80k the first year, minus taxes, pension, and the bare minimum HI premiums ($1.2k), you are looking at ~$56k net, you can optionally make 401k+IRA contributions of $22k, unless you are older than I think you are.  Also add a bit more for life insurance.  Going for at least the match in the 401k is preferable.

john122

• View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: 05-02-12 at 02:22 pm »

At $80k the first year, minus taxes, pension, and the bare minimum HI premiums ($1.2k), you are looking at ~$56k net, you can optionally make 401k+IRA contributions of $22k, unless you are older than I think you are.  Also add a bit more for life insurance.  Going for at least the match in the 401k is preferable.

Plex: thanks for answering my questions, but I didn't quite get a clear answer.

(1) If I were to get hired at GS-7-10, the pay is $67k.

(2) If I were to get hired at GS-9-6, they pay would be $70k.

At an annual salary of $67k -- minus taxes, pension, health insurance premiums, and 401k -- what will my monthly paycheck look like?

Similarly, an annual salary of $70k -- minus taxes, pension, health insurance premiums, and 401k -- what will my monthly paycheck look like?

Sorry if I didn't quite understand your answer.

plex

• View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: 05-02-12 at 05:09 pm »

Basically I'm assuming you are hitting your production+the 10% extra you need to assure grade promotions.  If you hit +10% production that means you get a 5% bonus (~$3.5k).  You would also get a $6k raise halfway through the year ($3k more that year).  You would also have the opportunity, if you want, to make overtime money, which I can't guess because how much you can work varies by department.  The one I'm in I think is 25 hours/biweek, or a max of +~$24k/year gross, I'd assume you'd put in a tiny bit of overtime here and there to hit your production target, so maybe ~$3k minimum from that. 

So, see above, $80k gross is pretty close to both of the scenarios you are talking about, as long as you are keeping up, if you aren't, well, I've heard they are pretty strict about it.  Don't roller-coast either (way under production one week, way higher production the next).

rwcltn

• View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: 05-03-12 at 04:33 pm »

Basically I'm assuming you are hitting your production+the 10% extra you need to assure grade promotions.  If you hit +10% production that means you get a 5% bonus (~$3.5k).  You would also get a $6k raise halfway through the year ($3k more that year).  You would also have the opportunity, if you want, to make overtime money, which I can't guess because how much you can work varies by department.  The one I'm in I think is 25 hours/biweek, or a max of +~$24k/year gross, I'd assume you'd put in a tiny bit of overtime here and there to hit your production target, so maybe ~$3k minimum from that. 

So, see above, $80k gross is pretty close to both of the scenarios you are talking about, as long as you are keeping up, if you aren't, well, I've heard they are pretty strict about it.  Don't roller-coast either (way under production one week, way higher production the next).

Add about another 7% of production if your on a promotion period.

john122

• View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: 05-04-12 at 08:25 am »

I'm bringing in $4K a month right now working for this firm.  So I'm assuming based on the above approximations that I'll be making significantly less every month working for the USPTO.

Footer

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 20 queries.