The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2019, 8:19am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   what qualifies as a patent ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: what qualifies as a patent ?  (Read 763 times)
sharan basappa
what qualifies as a patent ?
« on: Dec 20th, 2007, 7:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi,

I am working on an idea in the field of computers. I am not sure how to position the idea. In other words, how to bring in the innovation so that it is patent worthy.

Say I have see that there are sequences
s1, s2, s3, s4. If I say that combining sequence s1 and s3 will give certain benefit without affecting the outcome then it would probably just an idea. Is this a correct assumption ?
Now if I also give some steps to identify sequences that wont affect the outcome but give performance benefit then it probably can be patented. Is this correct ?
In general what is your advice to people who come up with just idea ?

I am very new to the field of patenting and I have read articles where they specifically say that ideas cannot be patented. So I thought I should clarify ?

Regards
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: what qualifies as a patent ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 9:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There is no sharp line between what is an “idea” and what is an “invention”.  An idea is a general concept; in an invention the details have been worked out to the extent that another skilled person could get the thing to work.

Typically a person sees an opportunity or a problem and comes up with an idea; the idea is then developed into an invention, i.e. something that can actually be described in sufficient detail that it can be made and used.

Consider the development of this invention:  
 - “Joe” is looking at a process and asks himself -  “What if we did step A, then step C, and step B could be combined with step D?  That would have the advantage of ****.”  That’s an idea.
 - Next Joe develops the idea a bit further.  “If we skip step B, then we would need to make sure that yyy is taken care of, and then we even speedup steps C and D.”
 - And then Joe makes some sketches, runs a few tests, perhaps builds a prototype and can describe the improved process to a point at which another skilled person could make the improved process.  At that point Joe has an invention.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Sharan
Re: what qualifies as a patent ?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 11:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks, Richard. I got it now ..
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »