The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 24th, 2019, 6:21pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Cost for a Patent Attorney to Examine a Product?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cost for a Patent Attorney to Examine a Product?  (Read 1146 times)
Steve S.
Cost for a Patent Attorney to Examine a Product?
« on: Dec 12th, 2007, 1:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello,

I am looking at a product that is currently patented but is due to expire (based on my limited research) in a year or two. I believe I can have this particular product made cheaper. What could I expect to pay an attorney to review this product and answer some questions?  
Am I correct in assuming once the patent expires I can copy the product?

Thank you in advance,
Steve
IP Logged
DJoshEsq

Email

Re: Cost for a Patent Attorney to Examine a Produc
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2007, 2:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes, once a patent expires you are free to make use and sell that product. Please contact me by email or telephone to discuss an estimate for reviewing the product and patent.
IP Logged

D. Joshua Smith, Esq.
Registered Patent Attorney
McDonald Hopkins, LLC
Cleveland, OH
216-348-5400
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: Cost for a Patent Attorney to Examine a Produc
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22nd, 2007, 2:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 12th, 2007, 2:47pm, DJoshEsq wrote:
Yes, once a patent expires you are free to make use and sell that product. Please contact me by email or telephone to discuss an estimate for reviewing the product and patent.

Just to clarify Josh's response, a single product may be protected by more than one patent.  In fact, it is quite common for a product to embody patented improvements that have been developed over time and those patents will expire at different times.  You should also know that not all patents run to their normal expiration date.  It is not uncommon for patents to lapse for failure to pay periodic maintence fees.  So, you may not have to wait those couple of years.
Finally, just because you can create the product for less does not mean you will prevail in the marketplace.  The current manufacturer may also be able to make the product much more cheaply and is just currently enjoying the benefits of patent protection.  (Think name-brand drugs versus generics.)  Plus, there are other issues like brand loyalty and presence in the marketplace that must be considered.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »