The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 27th, 2019, 4:04am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Can it be patented
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can it be patented  (Read 2122 times)
Robertstacy

Re: Can it be patented
« Reply #5 on: Dec 5th, 2007, 12:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Roughly, what can I expect to pay to have a patent search done?
IP Logged
CriterionD

WWW Email

Re: Can it be patented
« Reply #6 on: Dec 5th, 2007, 2:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 5th, 2007, 12:22pm, Robertstacy wrote:
Roughly, what can I expect to pay to have a patent search done?

My firm offers high quality, thorough searches generally ranging between $500-$1000 before any applicabale discounts (as detailed on the site).  I'd say thats about average for a decent search. You could expect to pay a little bit more through some firms, especially if an opinion is included.  

We also offer a "preliminary" search for only $50, its not a full fledge patent search, but has the potential to save some clients good time and money.  Its a viable alternative to conducting your own preliminary searching, or to using another lower quality firm.  Its nothing we make money on, is more of a promotional service.  It exists because, well, in the experience of a patent searcher - at least in my own - an inventor comes to you with an invention and they are sure nothing else like it exists, and, well, it doesn't always take more than fifteen minutes to show them wrong.  While other clients may stand to benefit from the service as well, that particular client is largely why the service exists.

There are many cheap firms advertising on the net.  Some of these firms simply copy and paste your provided description of your invention into complex patent search software which spits out automated patent search results (and maybe they manually refine the results later).  Other cheap firms are a little better than that.  But realize that a patent attorney/agent incurs a certain degree of liability when writing a patentability opinion, and the more thorough the search the more work involved in determining an opinion.  Which is why I advise in general to at least be skeptical when a firm advertises a cheap search including a written opinion.

And again, you can always conduct your own search - in that case you are spending nothing but your own time.
IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »