The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 15th, 2019, 11:20pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Classification
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Classification  (Read 1203 times)
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Classification
« on: Dec 29th, 2006, 2:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm reviewing some issued patents (from early 80s) and looking at the class/subclass of each.  In several, the subclasses aren't showing up in the Classification Manual.  The class is listed, but the specific subs in which I'm interested are not.  I've never come across this before.  Any explanations would be appreciated.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
franlorin

taxonomist-in- training

WWW Email

Re: Classification - answer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:56am »

on Dec 29th, 2006, 2:32pm, Bill Richards wrote:
I'm reviewing some issued patents (from early 80s) and looking at the class/subclass of each.  In several, the subclasses aren't showing up in the Classification Manual.  The class is listed, but the specific subs in which I'm interested are not.  I've never come across this before.  Any explanations would be appreciated.

the answer is this: as you go towards older US patents, you'll see increasingly bizzare patent classifications - this is because the US Classification System (USCS) continually evolves (at least periodically), especially for rapidly expanding art areas - these changes are documented in RECLASSIFICATION ORDERS that are periodically published on USPTO.GOV - these Reclassification orders specify the changes made, e.g., classes and/or subclasses abolished, added, and corresponding classification definitions changed

these differences in classification over time provide a historical record and can be used to describe changes in emphasis in patenting in particular technology areas (compare the relatively recent breakup of Class 364 into the various 700 Classes)

the way to find the CURRENT CLASSIFICATION, which may or may not be different from what's printed on the document, is to use the TEXT version of the document (INSTEAD of the IMAGE version) in USPTO.GOV

take care, Fran
siberkhem.com
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2007, 8:07am by franlorin » IP Logged

Fran Lorin
www.siberkhem.com
CriterionD

WWW Email

Re: Classification
« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:37am »

This is why a search engine like Delphion will allow you to search by either "US Classification" or "Current US Classification" or both
IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »