The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 6th, 2019, 5:27am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   IP final...here was my patent question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: IP final...here was my patent question  (Read 1365 times)
MindShock3

IP final...here was my patent question
« on: Dec 11th, 2006, 11:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here goes the question..

MakeIT a widget company created a method to make widgets more efficiently, nine months ago, six months ago it began to use it to make widgets more efficiently saving 25% in production costs.  All employees of MakeIT have signed non-disclosure agreements , so did the engineer, Stacy, that made the process.  

The method at its creations satisfied all the necessary requirements for patentablity, novel, non-obvious and useful.

An engineer at StolIT, MakeITs competitor took Stacy out and got her hammered and she spilled the beans regarding the method.  

One week ago MakeIT filed for a patent.  Are there any issues that may bar MakeIt's patent?

Briefly i used In re Forester to answer the question which i think says obviousness is determined 1 year prior to filing not at filing or the date of invention, so just because StolIT has the method, it doesn't make the method obvious.

The second part of the exam dealt with trade secrets.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: IP final...here was my patent question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 6:29pm »

In your scenario, you did not present any events that would trigger 35USC102 or 103 problems with a US application by MakeIt. I don't see the need to reference any case law in the answer.

There might be problems in other countries.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2006, 6:30pm by Wiscagent » IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Sudhir Aswal

sudhiraswal  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2006, 1:14am »

Yes you can hit the patent grant on the grounds of wrongful obtaining as the Applicant does not have any legal right over the invention and is not the true and first inventor of the invention and as result you may get the patent as far as the invention belongs to you in your name.  

But the exact remedy depends upon the special facts and circumstacnes of your case.

IP Logged

Sudhir Kumar Aswal
Patent Attorney, India
Aswal Associates
www.aswalassociates.com
Stewie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2006, 12:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Dec 16th, 2006, 1:14am, Sudhir Kumar Aswal wrote:
Yes you can hit the patent grant on the grounds of wrongful obtaining as the Applicant does not have any legal right over the invention and is not the true and first inventor of the invention and as result you may get the patent as far as the invention belongs to you in your name.

It looks like you misread the hypo.  The facts don't state that StolIT filed for a patent.
IP Logged
ChrisWhewell

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2006, 1:06pm »

MakeIT cannot file for patent, in the US at least, where application for patents must be made in the name of the inventor.  

By not naming at least one real person as inventor, the patent application will be rejected for lack of inventorship.

IP Logged

Chris Whewell, M.S.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »