The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2019, 9:01pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Design patent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Design patent  (Read 572 times)
mach

Email

Design patent
« on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 6:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

sitting in my tree stand hunting this year I came across an idea that would improve hunting. This idea is a fabric design I  like a pair of pants (that is an example) would an item like this be patentable? I am currently working on the prototype. What else should I be looking to do? Any input will help alot. if you need more information let me know.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Design patent
« Reply #1 on: Dec 4th, 2006, 1:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As a preliminary matter, a design patent covers the way a thing looks while a utility patent covers functional qualities of a thing.  My guess if that you want a utility patent, although they're not mutually exclusive and you can get both.

As for what to look for, you can do some research to see if anyone else has ever done something identical or similar -- assuming your strategy from idea to profit includes a utility patent.  If your strategy from idea to profit includes making and selling these things yourself, you might begin looking into textile manufacturing and how one gets set up to do that and perhaps into business entity formation -- that could be a corporation or any of a variety of partnership types.  If you have enough resources to fund the venture yourself, you can look at a sole proprietorship.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »