The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 15th, 2019, 11:21pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Improvement In Existing Product
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Improvement In Existing Product  (Read 3139 times)
AJ

Re: Improvement In Existing Product
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 6:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thank you all for the useful information.  I gather, with machine and machenism differences I do have a chance at patent but I might run into infringement issues.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Other than the fact that my product serves the same main purpose, for example, covering the seat with a cloth, it looks different, it operates different, and it cannot be sold alone.  In other words, these companies are selling the cloth seat cover dispensers for the chairs separately as a product that can fit any standard chair.  In my case the product can't be sold separately.  You have to buy a uinque chair from me and that is the only time you will get this product installed on it.   It cannot just work with any chair.   This means I'm not a threat to their market.  Their product is, for example, $100, my entire chair, with the product designed specifially for this chair, could cost a few hundred dollars.  

Does it improve my chances of getting the patent?
IP Logged
Sudhir Aswal

sudhiraswal  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 3:45am »

Yes very much,

From the detalied comparison it appears that your invention invloves novel concept, it is resulting in technological enhancement and improvement. furhter more being an automatic process your invention differs drastically from those mentioned by you.
 :) :) :)
IP Logged

Sudhir Kumar Aswal
Patent Attorney, India
Aswal Associates
www.aswalassociates.com
ThinkPatent

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29th, 2006, 3:42am »

I think your improvement seems to be better in terms of product operability and usability but need to be check for infringement issues. As you mentioned that three companies had already patented the improved versions, you need to check that any of the feature of your version do not infringe over the patented features. However, there is always a possibility of filing patent application for your invention provided that your disclosure is sufficient enough to meet the requirements of non-obviousness and novelty. All depends on your patent disclosure, your disclosed features should not look obvious improvement over the prior art and should highlight the merits over the prior known features.  

Visit Patent Circle @ http://patentcircle.****
IP Logged
ThinkPatent

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29th, 2006, 4:31am »

I think your improvement seems to be better in terms of product operability and usability but need to be check for infringement issues. As you mentioned that three companies had already patented the improved versions, you need to check that any of the feature of your version do not infringe over the patented features. However, there is always a possibility of filing patent application for your invention provided that your disclosure is sufficient enough to meet the requirements of non-obviousness and novelty. All depends on your patent disclosure, your disclosed features should not look obvious improvement over the prior art and should highlight the merits over the prior known features.  

Visit Patent Circle @ http://patentcircle.****
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »