The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 21st, 2019, 11:36am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   i have an idea for a video... is it patentable?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: i have an idea for a video... is it patentable?  (Read 568 times)
KatMack

i have an idea for a video... is it patentable?
« on: Aug 7th, 2006, 4:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi!  I'm hoping someone who knows more than i do might be able to help me.  I have an idea for a video series.  I have an apt to meet up with some videographers.  In order to give me quote on production prices, I would need to give them a lot of info aboutmy product.  What would you do?  And if I try to get a patent, do they even do patents on an idea for a video series?  I mean, it is pretty specific, but it seems strage to me.  I just don't know how to protect myself.? Huh Huh
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: i have an idea for a video... is it patentable
« Reply #1 on: Aug 7th, 2006, 6:00pm »

I'd start with NDAs, non-disclosure agreements.  Get them to sign a contract that they won't use your information/idea without your permission.  For people in the business of supporting roles like came****rsons and such, that shouldn't be a problem.  For people in the business of coming up with clever video ideas, like producers, they might not want to sign.

Then, you want agreements with people that the video you shoot, edit, and ultimately produce is owned by your (and/or your organization/company/etc.).

For what it's worth, I understand Hollywood has a reputation for doing all this in a hand-shake.  What does that mean to you?  If you're working in those circles, you may not need agreements, you may offend people by insisting on -- or even just suggesting -- agreements, you may not be able to get agreements, and the absence of agreements may leave you in a bad situation.  I don't have any specific insight into business in Hollywood, but I hear things.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
KatMack

« Reply #2 on: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:26pm »

Thank you so much, that was very, very helpful information.  I can't thank you enough...
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #3 on: Aug 8th, 2006, 9:33am »

on Aug 7th, 2006, 6:00pm, JimIvey wrote:
came****rsons

That should be "camera-persons" or "camera persons".  I'm often surprised at how creative the net-nanny is on this site.  I have to go back to my middle school mind-set to anticipate some of the double-entendres that the net nanny here sees.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »