The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 14th, 2019, 9:41am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Can you patent an idea?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can you patent an idea?  (Read 951 times)
Daniel J Born
Can you patent an idea?
« on: Jul 8th, 2006, 6:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a great idea, i think. But its just the idea. I wouldnt know how to go about creating it or making it actually happen. Its not a tangible thing, its more of a new technology that would be useful. Is this something patentable, and where do i go from here?? Please help
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Can you patent an idea?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 8th, 2006, 6:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The law (35 USC 112) requires that the patent “contain a written description of the invention, and of the manner and process of making and using it, in such full, clear, concise, and exact terms as to enable any person skilled in the art to which it pertains, or with which it is most nearly connected, to make and use the same, and shall set forth the best mode contemplated by the inventor of carrying out his invention.”

In other words, you have to be able to teach someone else how to make and use your invention in order to get a patent; a general idea, without specifics isn’t enough.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2006, 8:25pm by Wiscagent » IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
biopico

Re: Can you patent an idea?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 9:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 8th, 2006, 6:07pm, Daniel J Born wrote:
I have a great idea, i think. But its just the idea. I wouldnt know how to go about creating it or making it actually happen. Its not a tangible thing, its more of a new technology that would be useful. Is this something patentable, and where do i go from here?? Please help

In this forum, there are many patent agents and attorneys.  You might want to call them and get information with details about your idea.
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »