The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2019, 9:17am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   How do I patent my invention???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How do I patent my invention???  (Read 1034 times)
frogprincess

How do I patent my invention???
« on: May 11th, 2006, 7:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a recipe for an all natural bath product that is innovative. I would like to patent it before presenting it to companies. I have already had extreem interest expressed by several companies for the product but would like to patent it before offering the product samples in fear of one of the companies duplicating it and selling it as their own product. How do I go about this?
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2006, 7:28am by frogprincess » IP Logged
kunal

Re: How do I patent my invention???
« Reply #1 on: May 16th, 2006, 9:24am »

You need to get in touch with a patent attorney/law firm for drafting and filing the patent application. You also need to decide the jurisdictions where you want to file the applications. The law firm would be able to help you with that. The costs for filing a patent are a function of the number of countries you want to file the patent application in.  
The typical costs associated with drafting and filing a patent application in US varies from USD 7000 to 15000.  

My firm is a startup law firm and we provide patent services at substantially lower rates. If you require any other information you may get in touch with me at ksharma@gsiplaw.com
IP Logged
RMissimer

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 11:20am »

If you are only looking to get a filing for the sake of some protection,  then cheaper is better.

If you are looking to file a strong patent, and then litigate if enfringement occurs, then bigger is better (and more expensive).

--Cheaper--
I have seen patent filing costs from attorneys as low as $4000 fixed.  Might I suggest you look in the USPTO site for independant midwest attorneys.  They are generally less expensive than large firms.
The alternative is patent agents.  Again, looking at the USPTO site will provide lots of agents.  Independant agents are generally less expensive.
Our firm has "Not to exceed" pricing.  See website for details.  www.PatentsPenned.com

--Litigate--
I agree with Kunal that you want to pick your jurisdiction propably based on where you believe you will license it.  Often the manufacturers are in the same area of the country.  Stay close to them,  or hire someone that has offices in each of those locations.   It will save you money in the long run.
BUT.. be sure they do not represent your competitors.
IP Logged

RS Missimer
Patents Penned, Inc.
PO Box 486
Butler, WI 53007-0486
(262) 565-8200
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 3:31pm »

on Jun 11th, 2006, 11:20am, RMissimer wrote:
I agree with Kunal that you want to pick your jurisdiction propably based on where you believe you will license it.  Often the manufacturers are in the same area of the country.  Stay close to them,  or hire someone that has offices in each of those locations.   It will save you money in the long run.
BUT.. be sure they do not represent your competitors.

I'm pretty sure that by jurisdiction, Kunal was referring to chosing in which countries you will file patent applications.
IP Logged

Isaac
RMissimer

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 3:59pm »

So, is he then talking about PCT?

I assumed this was a US Patent Question, and licensing here.  If it is now  then I appologize.

But to your point,  there is no option but to contact attorneys in the countries you want filings in,  that is a given.  Unless the US attorney is registered in EU, or the like.  I know of very few that are internationally registered.   Is such registration more common than I give it credit?
IP Logged

RS Missimer
Patents Penned, Inc.
PO Box 486
Butler, WI 53007-0486
(262) 565-8200
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »