The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 4th, 2020, 9:36pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Book idea
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Book idea  (Read 615 times)
Megan Gallacher
Book idea
« on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a concept for a book, that I would likely sell to a publishing company. I wouldn't write it, I just have the idea.  I would want the rights to my idea if they like it. Do i need a patent or some kind of intellectual property protection? Thanks for your help.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Book idea
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For the content of books, copyright is the most natural form of protection.  However, for just an idea about what to write in a book isn't really copyrightable.  You'd do best to think about trade secret -- which may be a bit of a stretch and I doubt a publisher would sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA).

My understanding (and I don't work in this area, so take it with a grain of salt) is that pre-book deals are only signed for accomplished authors.  I don't think publishers pay money for book ideas by non-authors, but I could be wrong.  Even if you hoped to write it yourself, I think it's a long-shot to hope to get a contract before writing the book unless you're already an accomplished author.  It's just too risky for the publisher.

I'd also suggest trying your question on the copyright forum.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 7:10am »

No need to post in the copyright forum.  Jim's 100% right in his analysis, I believe.  An NDA is your only real option, and ou'd have a tough time convincing a book publisher to sign an NDA.  

In any event, book publishers publish books, they don't write them, as far as I know.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 8:13am »

Generally speaking, "idea people" who come up with the inspiration for other authors and inventors have a very tough time getting paid.   The few that can make it work, invariably already have a reputation for success in their industry usually based on bringing their own ideas to fruition.   They also know how the relevant industries work and know how to approach the right people without an NDA.

I don't personally have that knowledge.   It's not strictly speaking, an "IP" thing.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »