The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 1st, 2020, 9:46pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   New Use For Existing Products - Patentable?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Use For Existing Products - Patentable?  (Read 2921 times)
Hugh Gaugler
New Use For Existing Products - Patentable?
« on: Mar 9th, 2006, 12:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

There is an existing product which is used by electricians. This "electrical product" is a very simple item. It has been around for a long time and is not patented.

However, I have found a novel use for this electrical product in a field totally disrelated to its normal use.

By combining this electrical product with another product that is also readily available, and not patented, I have created a new device that is very practical for its field (which, as I said, is totally disrelated to the electrical product's normal use).

So, there you have it: I have created a novel, useful device simply by putting together two existing, been-around-forever products from two different fields. (The new product really is unique and very practical for its field. It economically solves a problem for those who work in that field.)

My question: Might such a device be patentable --- even though it's made simply by putting together two off-the-shelf products from two different fields?

Thanks for your help!

---- Hugh

IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: New Use For Existing Products - Patentable?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 1:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes.  You have two alternative bases for arguing patentability.

First, a novel, nonobvious use for a known product is patentable.

Second, a novel, nonobvious combinatino of know products is patentable.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 1:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

One thing to do in inventions of this type is to sort out who you would get to sue or force to take a license.   If an end user can combine off the shelf parts to make your device, or can employ the novel method using components whose sale you cannot enjoin, you are left with suing end users.   Hopefully those are the deep pockets making suing or licensing worthwhile.  Otherwise your patent might make some nice wall paper.
IP Logged

Isaac
Hugh Gaugler
« Reply #3 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 3:44pm »

Jim and Isaac,

Thank you for your responses.

I suspect that 99.9999% of end users of the new product won't be able to put two and two together. . . and since they'll be getting an instant, inexpensive solution to a problem they have in their field, it's not likely they'd even be inclined to look.

The main danger would come from current manufacturers/suppliers in the field where the new product would be used. These would be the people who might be inclined to knock off any successful product that isn't patented (and maybe even if it IS patented?)

Anyway, I'm encouraged by your comments, thanks again. Since the new product would be used in the field I work in (that's how I came to invent it ), I have a feel for it's usefulness and value.

Wish me luck!

---- Hugh
IP Logged
Brent Nanis
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:28am »

Can I jump in on this and ask what would happen if the two original products were patented? And the resulting product was novel and unknown to the original patent holders.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »