The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2019, 7:07am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   I have a business idea...should I get a patent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I have a business idea...should I get a patent  (Read 1299 times)
Finance001

I have a business idea...should I get a patent
« on: Jan 7th, 2006, 9:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have what I believe to be a great start up business idea.  I am in the process of writing a business plan and am wondering if I should get a patent to protect the idea.  As this is the first time I have ever done anythinng like this, I really don't know how to proceed.  Any help would be appreciated.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: I have a business idea...should I get a patent
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 2:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Without knowing the details of your business idea, there is no way to know if (i) the idea qualifies for a patent, or (ii) if it make business sense for you expend the time and effort to obtain a patent.

Many business ideas that would be called "new" or "unique" in a marketting or business discussion would not be considered "novel" in patent-talk; and therefor not patentable.

It takes about 2 - 5 years and about $5000 to $15,000 for fees and legal services to obtain a U.S. patent.  Only 2/3rds of all patent applications result in granted patents.  Successfully obtaining a patent would give you the right to sue someone who infringes the claims of your patent to stop their activity and for you to collect royalties.  

If a patent is essential or very important to your business, then you should consider it further.  If a patent is not so important to your start-up business, there may be better places for you to invest the time and effort.

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
sorry cabt tell
Re: I have a business idea...should I get a patent
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2006, 11:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i have one as well, follow your idea and look for websites that may let you help patent your buisness idea
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »