The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 15th, 2019, 11:22pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   what is the percentage?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: what is the percentage?  (Read 563 times)
tom
what is the percentage?
« on: Nov 18th, 2005, 3:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm just starting out as an independent patent attorney.  I have been approached by a few individual inventors, but after a search (sometimes just a google search), it was decided by them that it was not worth going forward because something too similar already existed.  I am wondering what the percentage is of individual inventors that come in with the next great idea that is unpatentable because of non-novelty or obviousness?  How many immediately give up without even going forward with an application?
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: what is the percentage?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 7:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't think your question has an answer.  One variable involves what kind of prescreening happens before clients get to you.  I've had people pitch their ideas at me while giving me a haircut, while at a kids birthday party, etc.

For the most part those ideas are not really inventions.  Often the inventor has no concept of how a device would work to accomplish a described goal.
Those things hardly ever (read never) result in an application.

On the other hand, if the person is pontificating about an invention in a field in which he has some knowledge, that person's concept may be at the same very high level of abstraction as that of the barber I described above, but the inventor might very well be able to invent around the stuff a simple search turns up.  

Those inventors have a much higher chance of turning into applicants even when a discouraging professional search turns up their concept.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2005, 8:59am by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
Isaac

Re: what is the percentage?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 9:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I meant to repeat the caveat that newly registered practitioners are generally speaking not qualified not represent clients without adult supervision.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »