The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 12th, 2019, 1:11am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patenting a Perfume?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patenting a Perfume?  (Read 8640 times)
Shannyn Bessoni
Patenting a Perfume?
« on: Jul 8th, 2005, 4:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi,

I am in the process of creating what I hope is a new perfume. Firslty, do I need to check that what I am doing does not already exist? Secondly can I patent the recipe/formula of the eau de parfum (or would trade secret status be more realisitic)?

Thanks!

Shannyn
IP Logged
Jason Delove
Re: Patenting a Perfume?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 12:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey Shannyn !!

Any luck on perfume patent?
I am wanting some direction as well. Where to start?
How do I protect myself from attorneys who might steal e.t.c.?

Sincerely,

Jason
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 7:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It is probably a good idea to spend a few hours doing a patent search and a literature search on perfumes that may be simliar to the type you are developing.  You may learn some new technology that can help your development process.  That could be worth you investment of time.  I doubt that you will find a patent that would block your ability to make and market your new product.

To obtain a patent your invention must be novel and non-obvious.  On that basis alone, it is unlikely that your new perfume is patentable.  

Jason asked "How do I protect myself from attorneys who might steal ...?"  It would be unethical and probably illegal for an attorney to steal your invention.  One way you could protect yourself would be to look up patents in related technologies; see who is listed as the Firm, Agent, or Attorney on the case; then contact the patentee and ask if he or she is satisfied with the attorney's work.

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
ChrisWhewell

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 7:26am »

Perfumes are indeed patentable.  Historically, the vast majority of companies have chosen not to patent their formulae, because it was usually not possible for competitors to determine the composition of the mixture, and by patenting, you would have to disclose the formula into the public domain.

The idea is to obtain a patent which is broad enough to cover your composition, so that nobody can make, use, or sell any other composition which smells substantially similar - otherwise, you may have no meaningful protection.   Depending on the contents of the prior art, you may be able to obtain a strong patent, provided, as usual, that your ocmposition(s) are in fact novel and are not obvious over what is available to one of ordinary skill in the art.  This is a fertile area for a creative claim drafter.
IP Logged

Chris Whewell, M.S.
CriterionD

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 5:47pm »

Actually, I believe you may be able to trademark a scent.  I've come across at least one US trademark recently attempting to do this

http://www.slashfood.com/2005/10/30/french-firm-fails-to-trademark-scent -of-strawberries/

Technically, if a scent distinctively "describes" a product then I don't see why you couldn't obtain a trademark for it
IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »