The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 25th, 2019, 9:22pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Public Disclosure?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Public Disclosure?  (Read 1471 times)
Patrick Guillot
Public Disclosure?
« on: Jun 1st, 2005, 12:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For you attorneys out there, I think I know the answer to this already but I am hoping for some new insight. If a product idea is revealed to a comany (with or without NDA) in the hopes of obtaining a licensing agreement; does this constitute a public disclosure and void the patentability of said product?

Thanks in advance for your help.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Public Disclosure?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 2nd, 2005, 5:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First of all, the NDA matters.  With the NDA, no public disclosure.  If they violate the NDA, I think that bars the patent and your sole remedy is in contract law.  

Without the NDA, it depends on a number of factors.  As the idea owner, you have the power to avoid that issue altogether.  Just file your application before making any disclosures without an NDA.  Then, there's no doubt in the viability and enforceability of your patent.  Disclosing without the NDA is just inviting a huge multi-million-dollar fight in courts.  Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

If you really want to know the answer, maybe some litigators hang out here and can map out the precise inquiry into when exactly a disclosure is "public" under Section 102.  

And, of course, the answer varies from country to country.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
ringo

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 4:24pm »

An NDA is essential, however you can also prove it was in your possession at a certain moment in time by registering with a Digital Notary such as www.file-reg.com. I have been doing this for a couple of years now and have found that because I can legally prove I came up with a concept at a certain moment in time the other party has never attempted to steal my work. You can also register your work while you are developing it, therefor this will strengthen any claim you make.  

It does not rule out an NDA, which remains a priority, but at least you have a lot more then just a piece of paper.

IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 5:00pm »

Without an NDA, a disclosure for the purpose of licensing
discussion would likely not count as a publication, a patent,
or as placing the invention on sale.  So the disclosure itself
should not count as a publication.  However without an NDA,
it might be that the person you disclose the invention to could
make a publication or attempt to sell products thus starting
a 1 year clock.

I understand that you can avoid the problem by filing an application
but I don't believe that's always a practical solution.  There are
good reasons why there is a one year grace period in the US.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2005, 5:01pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 7:40am »

on Jun 26th, 2005, 4:24pm, ringo wrote:
I have been doing this for a couple of years now and have found that because I can legally prove I came up with a concept at a certain moment in time the other party has never attempted to steal my work.

If that's true, it's likely pure dumb luck.  Unless you have patent protection for an idea (or it's held as a trade secret, which is by definition not the case when you disclose to a "digital notary" -- whatever the heck that is), anyone is legally free to "steal" your invention.  With that in mind, I think Ringo's advice may quickly be understood to be bad advice.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »