The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 23rd, 2019, 1:46pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent for recipe (Method, not just ingridients)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent for recipe (Method, not just ingridients)  (Read 34739 times)
Brandie Salierno
Patent/copyright/trademark for a recipe
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 10:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi!   I have a trail mix recipe where I use a specific name brand cereal in it; how do I go about copyrighting/patenting/trademarking or whatever I need to do with this recipe so I can begin selling it without getting in trouble with the cereal company?  Also; after a label and packaging is figured out (as well as the copyrighting (or whatever I would have to do)); what is the next step to getting it out there... do I just go to a store and ask them to buy it?  Doesn't a board of a retailer make those decisons?  Sorry for all the questions... I have looked everywhere on the internet; but cannot seem to find out all of these questions.  Have a wonderful day and thank-you for your time!
IP Logged
youngandsuccessful

Re: Patent for recipe (Method, not just ingridient
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21st, 2007, 1:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am actually starting my own cooking show.  I am inquiring how I should handle showing original recipes that I created to the public without the risk of them being stolen?  I know that I can generalize a lot of the ingredients but some has to be known for the recipe to be successful.  I am working on a low budget so I cannot afford to pay $10,000 for a patent.  Is there some other way to protect myself with my recipes?  Maybe some sort of copyright?
IP Logged
Rocio Medina
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 4:04pm »

Ok, I have a couple questions.  My family owns several restaruants, in which they specialize in selling chicken.  Are they able to patent their recipes? or is their only hope to keep the recie a secret and pray no one every finds it?  How do the large companies such as KFC, and Popeyes go about it?
IP Logged
CriterionD

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 4:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 23rd, 2007, 4:04pm, Rocio Medina wrote:
How do the large companies such as KFC, and Popeyes go about it?

Well KFC commonly advertises the "colonel's secret recipe."  If it was patented, it wouldn't be secret.  This has worked well for them, not only have they done a good job of keeping the "recipe" secret, but they are able to use it to enhance their marketing efforts.

KFC does hold a few patents though as well

link

As far as what works best for your family?  It depends on the exact circumstances, and there's no one right answer necessarily
IP Logged

www.criteriondynamics.com
Paul Gilkerson
« Reply #19 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 10:55pm »

Like the other posts, have a recipe for a dip that has never failed to please.  My concern is that the ingredients involved are products made by large companies.  Would I face a potential problem if I sold the combination of these products (the recipe) under my own label?  What could be a way around this problem?  Thanks!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »