The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 19th, 2019, 8:41am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Unused Technology Being Patented for New Usages
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Unused Technology Being Patented for New Usages  (Read 1728 times)
JSonnabend

Email

Re: Unused Technology Being Patented for New Usage
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 7:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If the claims cover a method of using suction cups to lift stencils, then the patent prevents other people from using suction cups to lift stencils.  If a company sells suction cups and promotes there use for lifting stencils, the company may be liable as a contributory infringer.

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
Bob galler
« Reply #6 on: May 13th, 2005, 4:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

dear Jim

if i create an virtual reality application using a (assumption) using a known protocol standard which has never been applied for virtual reality applications. suppose the said virtual reality application  is known and the protocol in a standard format available to public. But this protocol has never been used for this purpose. is it patentable?

Thanks in advance!
Bob
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #7 on: May 23rd, 2005, 1:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If this was addressed to me personally, I apologize for not responding sooner.  I've been out of the forum for a while.  To paraphrase an old bumper sticker, "Stuff Happens."

It might be patentable.  If there are reasons that others have applied the protocol to virtual reality and you found a clever ("non-obvious") way to make it work and/or it solves a problem that others have tried to solve and failed (another way to show non-obviousness), then you'd probably get a patent.

In short, new and non-obvious combinations of known things are patentable.  

However, if there's no reason to believe that the protocol wouldn't serve virtual reality well and it's just coincidental that no one has used that protocol, getting a patent will be challenging (time intensive and/or expensive).

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »