The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2019, 6:22am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   recipe
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: recipe  (Read 1047 times)
linda mccormack
recipe
« on: Jul 5th, 2004, 2:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If one is preparing to license (for production) and distrbute a food product, is it necessary to patent the recipe? Is it even possible? Thanks.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: recipe
« Reply #1 on: Jul 5th, 2004, 9:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

No, it's not required.  Patents are never required to make, use, or sell anything.

Yes, it's possible.  I think someone else here posted information about a number of patented recipes.  

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 6th, 2004, 6:24am »

Dear Ms. Mccormack,

Patents are only granted on inventions which are new and non-obvious. It is my understanding that it is, in practice, difficult to get a patent on a recipe if what differentiates your recipe from all the others is a little more butter, or a few extra moments under the grill.  

Neither can recipes be copyrighted.  

"A mere listing of ingredients is not protected under copyright law. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a collection of recipes as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection. Note that if you have secret ingredients to a recipe that you do not wish to be revealed, you should not submit your recipe for registration, because applications and deposit copies are public records. See FL 122, Recipes."  

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

Recipes (like the secret formula for Coca-Cola) are most always best protected as trade secrets. It is also worth noting that trade secrets last forever and cost nothing.  

Perhaps this is why good cooks never give away their secrets.  

Regards,

Eric Stasik
IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden
Hilary Joann Sweeney
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 5:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi, I have an invention that I need to get out there on the market.. I know nothing about how to start doing this.. I have a few ideas actually. I have just never taken the actually time to put alot of go on them. I need help to obtain info. Please email me back if you have any ideas
IP Logged
Frozen_out

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 5:37am »

Dear Linda,

There is no necessity to Patent at any time. Patenting is a choice. Its value depends on the breadth if the claims. Just getting a patent may be a waste of time money and energy.

A trademark may better protection since it can last forever. Particularly with a recipie. Look at Coca Cola.

I used to post a M Arthur Auslander with the email aus@auslander.com but that posting is frozen out for some reason in this system.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »