The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 24th, 2018, 9:51pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Is it Patentable?
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   "Monster" Vintage Strong-Arms Small Busi
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: "Monster" Vintage Strong-Arms Small Busi  (Read 7197 times)
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: "Monster" Vintage Strong-Arms Small
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 11:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 12th, 2004, 10:12pm, victor petruccci wrote:
According to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and court records, Monster Cable has gone after other notable monsters:  

-- Walt Disney Co., which distributed Pixar Animation Studios' hit film "Monsters, Inc.''  
-- Bally Gaming International Inc. for its Monster Slots.  
-- Hansen Beverage Co. for a Monster Energy drink.  
-- The Chicago Bears, whose nickname is "Monsters of the Midway.''  

Wow.  That's pretty amazing.  I think they're pretty clearly on the wrong side of the legal issues, but the unfortunate reality is that you have to put your story in front of a judge to get to that conclusion.  And that takes money.

FWIW, as a consumer, I've known about Monster Cable for decades, but I've never thought of them until you get to the second word of their mark.  There are so many other Monsters in the world, many of which pre-date my earliest recollection of Monster Cable.

I'm sure if I sat down with their attorneys, I'd have a better understanding of their legal and factual basis for this.  But as it stands, I don't get it.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
JSonnabend

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 9:05am »

on Nov 12th, 2004, 11:46pm, JimIvey wrote:
I'm sure if I sat down with their attorneys, I'd have a better understanding of their legal and factual basis for this.  But as it stands, I don't get it.

Jim, I don't think there is much to get.  The following quote says it all (i.e., "income stream").  After all, how much QC could Monster Cable assert over Bally's or the Bears?

Quote:
In most cases, Monster Cable has been able to work out a . . .  nominal licensing agreement

- Jeff
IP Logged

SonnabendLaw
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Brooklyn, USA
718-832-8810
JSonnabend@SonnabendLaw.com
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 10:29am »

on Oct 21st, 2004, 7:51am, JSonnabend wrote:
I think Eric's comments are way out of line.  Simply because Monster Cable's mark utilizes the ordinary English word "monster" does not mean that it can or should go after every other commercial use of the word.  

Well, I didn't say I supported what Monster was doing, I was only trying to point out what their rationale might be.  

San Francisco Chronicle  
Monday, November 8, 2004  

Monster fiercely protects its name  
Cable products company sues those who use M-word  

It seems to me that my initial observation was not so "way out of line" after all.  

Monster is a well-known brand name for audiophiles. I used to have a set of their thick braided copper cables between my Nakamichi power amplifier and my Interface D Series II loudspeakers. It was probably overkill, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  

Should Monster cable have the right to all uses of the word Monster?  

Probably not, but that won't stop them from trying.  

Nor will it stop good old American lawyers from taking Monster's money to harass small business owners.  

Cheers,

eric "Monster" stasik
IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden
j holcomb
« Reply #8 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 3:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Email sent to Irene Baran COO, Monster Cable iebaran@monstercable.com

Hello Miss Baran-
You people are dorks.
I had every intention of crafting a well-written argument against your position on trademark infringement or dilution..... but then I thought, "How does this actually affect me?" My thoughts kept drifting to a natural end, that denial, redirection and several beers couldn't change.
#1 - Your company is nowhere near as important as you deem yourselves. (money isn't everything)
#2 - Outside the A/V world you have little or no real impact or exposure to the vast majority of people.
#3 - (and I believe most important) I would never have found www.monstervintage.com without your help.

What's my point?

I just spent 145$ on some kick ass cool retro clothes, and 0$ on any new A/V cabling products.  

So back to the original response.  
You people are dorks.  
Fer Pete's sake, even Vince McMahon taught a huge lesson when he used negative advertising to his advantage. (thinks World Wildlife Federation v. WWF)
You missed your shot.

Have a nice year.
IP Logged
K Paulk
« Reply #9 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 11:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Dec 8th, 2004, 3:20pm, j holcomb wrote:
Email sent to Irene Baran COO, Monster Cable iebaran@monstercable.com

Hello Miss Baran-
You people are dorks.
I had every intention of crafting a well-written argument against your position on trademark infringement or dilution..... but then I thought, "How does this actually affect me?" My thoughts kept drifting to a natural end, that denial, redirection and several beers couldn't change.
#1 - Your company is nowhere near as important as you deem yourselves. (money isn't everything)
#2 - Outside the A/V world you have little or no real impact or exposure to the vast majority of people.
#3 - (and I believe most important) I would never have found www.monstervintage.com without your help.

What's my point?

I just spent 145$ on some kick ass cool retro clothes, and 0$ on any new A/V cabling products.  

So back to the original response.  
You people are dorks.  
Fer Pete's sake, even Vince McMahon taught a huge lesson when he used negative advertising to his advantage. (thinks World Wildlife Federation v. WWF)
You missed your shot.

Have a nice year.

That's great!  LOL

I DO use Monster Cables in my home theater, but I think I'm going to reconsider it now.  This just burns my butt!  Angry
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »