The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 31st, 2023, 1:29am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Obviousness
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   A in view of B makes it obvious?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A in view of B makes it obvious?  (Read 854 times)
Larry Stell
A in view of B makes it obvious?
« on: Apr 14th, 2006, 12:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a question.   I recently received a rejection for my patent under 103.   The examiner says A in view of B.    

Does this literally mean, a person with A, viewing B, it would suggest or motivate to combine etc etc?

Or can it mean, having both in front of you, is there a suggestion to combine?   Can it mean, if a person, looking at B, sees A?

It is just that B is not concerned with my invention at all, in fact A has a step before my invention, but looking at B would not help him.   But if someone had B, looking at A, then there might be something.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: A in view of B makes it obvious?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 12:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Generally what it means is that all of the elements of the invention are taught in A and B, and that there is motivation to modify the teachings of A with B to reach what is claimed.

The motivation to combine might be in either A or B, but it does not have to be in those references although when it is so found, the case for obviousness is strongest. The Examiner does have to show motivation, but motivation can come from the prior art, the knowledge of one skilled in the art, or from the problem to be solved.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2006, 12:33pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
TataBoxInhibitor

Re: A in view of B makes it obvious?
« Reply #2 on: May 5th, 2006, 10:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well said.  There must a motivation or suggestion to combine the pieces of prior art or to modify.  Usually there are two or more references for an obviousness rejetion, though, sometimes I only get one.  

After this combo or modification to make your invention obvious, there must also be a reasonable likelihood of success and it must teach ALL the limitations.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »