The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 24th, 2019, 11:50pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Term
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Expired patent due to maintenance fee
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Expired patent due to maintenance fee  (Read 1156 times)
msarrazi

31335776 31335776    

Expired patent due to maintenance fee
« on: Sep 15th, 2007, 9:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a product that I wish to promote that is very similar in function to a previously patented product.  The product in question though has expired due to lack of maintenance fee payment.  I assume this means the original product has been abandoned.  Does this give me the right to successfully apply for a patent and market said patent without obligation to the original inventor?  I have made many design improvements to the product but the fact is that a "widget" is always a "widget" Right? Any help would be deeply appreciated.
IP Logged
patent_type

Re: Expired patent due to maintenance fee
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 11:58am »

You cannot get a patent to something that is already out there.  If the patent is truly expired, the subject matter of that patent is now in the public domain and able to be used, made, etc., by anybody.  It may be possible to get a patent for your improvements to that widget.  See a patent attorney with the details of your situation.

Importantly, it *may* be possible for the owner of a patent expired for failure to pay a maintenance fee to have the patent revived.  This is a very fact-dependent determination and you should have a patent attorney look at the facts of your case.

Even if you get a patent for your improvement, an unexpired patent on the base widget will prevent you from making, using, selling, offering for sale, or importing a widget plus your improvement.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16th, 2007, 10:41am »

on Sep 15th, 2007, 9:13am, msarrazi wrote:
I have a product that I wish to promote that is very similar in function to a previously patented product.  The product in question though has expired due to lack of maintenance fee payment.  I assume this means the original product has been abandoned.  Does this give me the right to successfully apply for a patent and market said patent without obligation to the original inventor?  

Patents expire -- all of them.  You cannot assume anything about a product/service based on the status of a corresponding patent.  Expiration has no effect whatsoever on the chances of successfully getting a patent on a similar technology.

on Sep 15th, 2007, 9:13am, msarrazi wrote:
I have made many design improvements to the product but the fact is that a "widget" is always a "widget" Right? Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Wrong.  A new and improved (non-obviously so) widget can get a new patent despite many other widgets pre-existing.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
msarrazi

31335776 31335776    

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 8:27am »

Thanks guys, I will be seeking further info under other topics regarding patentability of my product.  My initial question was answered as hoped.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »