The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2014, 8:22am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Term
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Second Provisional Patent Application
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Second Provisional Patent Application  (Read 3131 times)
rgbonk

Second Provisional Patent Application
« on: May 23rd, 2006, 8:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

About mid December 2005 I filed and was granted a provisional patent application.  I have not made my invention public.  I have presented my invention twice to very reputable companies and under the protections afforded me by a very complete NDA.  I want the cost of both the utility patent and foreigh patents to be borne by whom ever I license my invention to.  Should I not locate the right entity to license my product to before expiration of my current PPA, can I refile another PPA, with product enhancements included, to give me another year to conduct my search?  (I am quite confident that my product is patentable)  Please help.  Thanks, rgbonk
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Second Provisional Patent Application
« Reply #1 on: May 23rd, 2006, 9:28pm »

Yes you can file a 2nd PPA on the same or similar subject matter.  BUT your 1st PPA expires after 1 year and if you don't file a regular application before then, the 1st PPA becomes worthless.

To clarify, here's a hypothetical example.
-  You filed your PPA on Dec 15, 2005 discussing invention X, and did NOT follow up with a regular patent application.
-  On Nov 15, 2006 I file a regular patent application on related subject matter.  You have no way of knowing about my patent application.
-  On Dec 14, 2006 you file a second PPA discussing invention X and some new matter.

Because your first PPA expired on Dec 15, 2006 it can not be used as prior art against my patent application.

Also, if you subsequently file a regular application, using your second PPA as priority, you can not claim priority back to your first (expired) PPA.  Once the first PPA expired, it was gone, and of no further help to you.

Filing a second PPA in no way extends the life of the first one.

Richard
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2006, 5:13am by Wiscagent » IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #2 on: May 24th, 2006, 11:58am »

This may seem a bit nit-picky, but there's an important nuance in the original post that I think should be addressed.  No one is ever "granted" a provisional patent application.  The use of the word "granted" suggests some sort of conveyance of rights by the USPTO.  No provisional application results in the conveyance of any rights whatsoever until a real patent application claims the benefit of the PPA's filing date and then is issued (or "granted") as a US patent.

People seem to be fond of saying they've filed their PPA and so they're "protected".  The kind of "protection" offered by the mere filing of a provisional application is extremely narrow and limited and specific.  In fact, the protection offered, if any, is very much provisional itself in that you must take further steps to obtain any benefit whatsoever from the filing of the provisional application.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
jdg
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 8:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for clarifying that nuance.  I find myself in a very similar situation to rgbonk above.  I understand that if I file a PPA in December '05 and do not convert it to a patent application by December '06 I lose the ability to claim protection as of December '05.  My question relates to future protection, not past: If I refile either (a) the exact same PPA or (b) the exact same PPA with a few improvements in December '06 or later, do I get another year of protection starting on the day I file?  Is there any limit to how many times I can re-file a PPA and get another new year of protection?

Thanks!
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 12:11pm »

“If I file [another provisional application] in December '06 or later, do I get another year of protection starting on the day I file?”  

Yes.  But see below.

“Is there any limit to how many times I can re-file a PPA and get another new year of protection?”

No.  But see below.

Keep in mind the nature of the “protection” that a provisional application provides.  Essentially the provisional application reserves a priority date if you file a regular application within one year of the provisional application.

Suppose (for some bizarre reason) you filed an identical provisional application each and every day from January 1, 2005 until December 31, 2005.  Then on January 2, 2006 you finally filed a regular application for the same invention.

I filed a regular patent application for the same subject matter on January 1, 2005.  I would have the earlier priority date because the last provisional application that was still “alive” when you filed your regular application was dated January 2, 2005.  So while you can file a rolling series of provisional applications, that does not extend the one-year limit to file a regular application.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »