The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2020, 4:43pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Term
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   i want to give a existing product a new use
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: i want to give a existing product a new use  (Read 521 times)
VAUGHN

i want to give a existing product a new use
« on: Apr 13th, 2006, 11:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

there is a product already on tha market in many different forms all basically doing the same thing.  i have thought of a new use for this product.  should i try to find out who has the patent and try to partner with him. Or will i be able to pursue my own patent.  Or could someone tell me the best options there are ?
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: i want to give a existing product a new use
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 7:46am »

Well, there are two separate issues: (i) can you get a patent for your new use and (ii) would your new use infringe any existing patent(s) on the product?

As for (i), if your new use really is new and is also not obvious, yes, you can get your own patent on it.

As for (ii), yes, your new use would infringe any existing and not yet expired patents covering the product itself.

Whether you should partner up with someone depends on who that someone is and a myriad of other considerations far beyond patent law.

I'm a little apprehensive to post my FAQ link again, but it really does include all the things I feel I need to add here to tell you what your options look like.  Here it is:
http://www.isrlaw.com/inventorFAQ.html#1

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Isaac

Re: i want to give a existing product a new use
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 8:00am »

For questions concerning new uses for exisitng products, I'd also add

Is there any conceivable way you can get paid?  If the direct infringers are end users with little/no money, and the people up the supply chain can avoid indirect infringement maybe a patent on the new use might be nothing more than wall paper.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »