The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2020, 4:41pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Term
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   "Knaps patent" term ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: "Knaps patent" term ?  (Read 1347 times)
steve_in_so_az

"Knaps patent" term ?
« on: Sep 30th, 2004, 3:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have an aguilette - the metal tube that goes on the end of a dress cord - on a military uniform. Stamped on it is "Knaps Patent"  and "Jan. 6, 1827". Can anyone tell me what this Knaps patent is ?  Thanks, steve in so az
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: "Knaps patent" term ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 12:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't know that patent off the top of my head, but here's how I'd find it if I had the time:

I'd search www.uspto.gov for patents issuing on January 6, 1827.  Unfortunately, patents prior to 1976 are not searchable by issue date -- only by patent number and/or classification.  So, you'd have to do some detective work.  Start with a patent number around 200,000 and see if it issued before or after Jan. 6, 1827.  You'll have to access the patent images to determine the issue date.

Then, try either 150,000 or 300,000 or 1,000,000 or whatever number is suggested by the direction and distance of the issue date of patent 200,000.  Soon, you'll realize that a couple hundred patents issued on the same day.  All I can suggest is looking at them one by one until you see one whose first named inventor has the last name Knaps.  That's probably your patent.

You can narrow this process down a bit by determining the proper US classification for that particular article.  There should be information regarding invention classification at www.uspto.gov.

I hope that helps.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Steve in so az
Re: "Knaps patent" term ?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 2nd, 2004, 3:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thank you both very much !  I'll see what I can do and report back if successfull, Steve in so az
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »