The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 25th, 2019, 1:24am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent/Invention Ownership
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   maintaining notes for patent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: maintaining notes for patent  (Read 933 times)
Sharan
maintaining notes for patent
« on: Dec 18th, 2007, 3:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

** Sorry, guys. I put this question on "others" forum and got no response. I thought I was trying out an incorrect forum. So, I am posting this again here **

Hi,

I have been working on few ideas for last few years, and normally I keep a detailed notes about these ideas. There are few questions on my mind concerning these ..

-- I normally write the notes in my pad with a pencil. Lot of times some of the wordings, drawings are refined a lot. So using a pen would mean too much of clumsiness.

-- The terms that I normally use might not be the one I will eventually use. Mainly because things get refined as we go along and if I think there is a scope for improvement then I do it when I formalize the things as a word document or something.

The question is whether this is the right way to keep notes or there are any loopholes in this ?

Regards
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: maintaining notes for patent
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 11:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There are various reasons for keeping notes of your work, but focusing on documentation for potential patent-related issues the basics are:
 - use a pre-numbered, bound notebook
 - record everything in ink
 - do not erase (If you make a mistake, draw a single line through the error, and initial and date the strike-through)
 - sign & date your work when you are done with a page
 - frequently have another person (not a coinventor) witness (i.e. sign & date) your work

These are just a few of the rules for maintaining a patent notebook.  There are several web sites that discuss this in depth.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
sharan
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 12:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Wiscagent,

Thanks for info. This is really helpful. Given that I have been working on few things for sometime now (an year or so) and I normally put things using a pencil, what do you think I should be doing. Also, some of my ideas that are available in a primitive version in my notes are put in ms-word in a more professional way. Given this situation, what do you think I should be doing to ensure that my ideas are well protected.

Regards
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 11:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You are asking two distinct questions:
 - How to ensure that your ideas are well protected?
 - How to best document your work?

The questions are related, but separate.  Regarding documentation, here are some useful references:
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bioslabs/tools/notebook/notebook.html

http://www.orsp.cmich.edu/pdf/handbookpermIA.pdf

http://www.warf.org/inventors/index.jsp?cid=18

http://www.wiggin.com/pubs/articles_template.asp?ID=102187242000

As to the question “How to ensure that your ideas are well protected?”, generally speaking “ideas” are not protectable under patent laws.  Patents protect inventions, that is, something that is useful and can be reduced to practice.  In certain situations documenting your ideas can help you gain patent protection for a related invention; but good documentation alone does not ensure protection.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »