The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 11th, 2020, 4:15pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Other
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Ph.D in intellectual property
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ph.D in intellectual property  (Read 1357 times)
Art
Re: Ph.D in intellectual property
« Reply #5 on: May 12th, 2006, 5:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

XYZ - First, try to learn how to express things properly before thinking of jobs.  I have been going through some of your recent postings.  I am really not impressed with the way you express things in your postings.  

Regards,

Art
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #6 on: May 12th, 2006, 12:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Do you mean your profile here?  All it says is that you're 27 years old, female, and in India.  That's far too general to make any assessments as to what careers might be available here.

There's also this entire forum:  Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers

That would be a good place to start, I would think.  There are also job listings here.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
RMissimer

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 4th, 2006, 1:01pm »

There is such a thing as a Phd in Law.  It is for teachers.  I saw one awarded this last weekend.

I doubt it is what the question is addressing though.

As was stated a JD with a specialty in IP can be had from lots of colleges.  John Marshall, Marquette, just to name a few.  The alternative is to graduate near home with a JD, and then take an LL.M in the US in IP Law.  They are easier to get into, and if taught at an ABA school will get you the chance to sit for most state bar exams.

This is also the case when a JD is obtained from a non-ABA school (like are allow in California).  California is the only state that allows a non-ABA-grad to sit for the state bar exam.  But if you graduate from an LL.M program of a ABA-school you get around that restriction.

I hope this helps.
IP Logged

RS Missimer
Patents Penned, Inc.
PO Box 486
Butler, WI 53007-0486
(262) 565-8200
Isaac

« Reply #8 on: Jun 4th, 2006, 1:48pm »

on Jun 4th, 2006, 1:01pm, RMissimer wrote:
The alternative is to graduate near home with a JD, and then take an LL.M in the US in IP Law.  They are easier to get into, and if taught at an ABA school will get you the chance to sit for most state bar exams.

Some bar exams, but decidedly not most.  

Quote:

This is also the case when a JD is obtained from a non-ABA school (like are allow in California).  California is the only state that allows a non-ABA-grad to sit for the state bar exam.

Not true.   There are other states which allow you to take the bar exam upon graduation from  a state approved law school.   Example states include Alabama and New Hampshire.

There are even states allowing taking the bar without having graduated from any law school.
IP Logged

Isaac
RMissimer

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 4th, 2006, 5:55pm »

I stand corrected.  I looked at the Alabama Bar link <<http://www.alabar.org/>> and they do not require ABA school graduation.  From my reading they don't seem to care about state approved schools either.

The states do seem to be getting looser on the requirements.  I remember when California first started allowing non-ABA-schools,  it really upset a lot of board of bar examiner folks.

Thank you for correcting me Isaac.

IP Logged

RS Missimer
Patents Penned, Inc.
PO Box 486
Butler, WI 53007-0486
(262) 565-8200
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »