The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 11th, 2020, 5:25pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Other
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Re: urgent help in registration.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: urgent help in registration.  (Read 3116 times)
Jonathan

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 4:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As Isaac pointed out, your registration status as an Indian patent agent does not give you any special status to be registered with the US patent office.

Restated, you can not register under that category given your current circumstances of living in India.

Here is the relevant info from the General Requirements Bulletin which details out who can take the US patent bar exam:

"E. ELIGIBILITY OF ALIENS: Applicants who are not United States citizens and do not reside in the
U.S. are not eligible for registration except as permitted by 37 CFR 11.6(c). Presently, the
Canadian Patent Office is the only Patent Office recognized as allowing substantially reciprocal
privileges to those admitted to practice before the USPTO. The registration examination is not
administered to aliens who do not reside in the United States."

The link to that bulletin is here:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/oed/grb15nov05.pdf

If you want to become a U.S. patent agent, you will need to live legally in the US and provide appropriate immigration paperwork to the US patent office to prove you are here legally and are authorized to work here.  

If you want to make a jump over the pond to the US to become a US patent agent, perhaps seeking employment at a patent law firm with offices in India and the US may be one path you could pursue. I don't recall any names off the top of my head. I will search around some and post one firm's name later.

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2006, 4:04am by Jonathan » IP Logged
Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 5:28am »

Here is a firm with a Northern California office and two offices in India:  

http://www.rajpatent.com/index.php
IP Logged
xyz

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 5:33am »

Thank you Mr. Jonathan!

Now my all the doubts regarding this registration procedures are clear and I just make up my mind towards to be an Indian patent agent. So planning to join as a patent agent in some top level law firms of INDIA particularly in Delhi to get more exposure in this field. In this regard, can u suggest me the name of some good INDIAN LAW FIRMS also I want to know what type of interview questions they can ask for patent agent interview and what are the suitable answers for that as I have already told you about myself that I'm postgraduate in biochemistry with 2.5 years research exp and presently working as a traniee in patent prosecution and filing for past 1.5 years and also passed Indian patent agent exam.  

Also give me the current salary status for a patent agent in India.  

Please treat it urgent.  

Thanks once again
IP Logged

xyz
Jonathan

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 8:23am »

You are welcome.

As to the rest of your questions, I do not have any more specific knowledge or advice to offer as I am not familiar with the Indian legal/patent employment scene.  

I would suggest that you get in touch with other people in situations similar to yours to get more specific information. Some sort of intellectual property practitioners association would probably be a good start.
IP Logged
xyz

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 2:14am »

Thanks alot

Do any other person have an idea for a career scope for Indian patent agent or any other person can give me a suggestion on that.

Thank you.
IP Logged

xyz
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »