The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 22nd, 2017, 2:19am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Other
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   How to do a Patent Valuation
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How to do a Patent Valuation  (Read 3995 times)
Bear

How to do a Patent Valuation
« on: Jun 21st, 2005, 11:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone:

Does anyone knows how to evaluate how much a patent is worth? Such as what kind of criteria, factors that I have to put in. And what "discounted Present value" factor to plug in, if there is any? If anyone could help would be great.

Thanks a lot

Bear
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: How to do a Patent Valuation
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22nd, 2005, 8:13am »

Evaluating intellectual property in general and patents in particular is difficult and imprecise.  One of the first questions you should consider is this:  do you wish to place a value on a “naked” patent, or on a patent that is part of a technology and business package.  In most cases a potential buyer would have more interest in a package, than in just a stand-alone patent.

Most evaluation methods are based combinations of the following:

- development cost – This may be useful for internal bookkeeping or tax purposes, but usually irrelevant to potential buyers.

- business value to current owner – If the patent gives a quantifiable advantage to the current owner, such as the patent blocks competition or increases the cost to the competition, then traditional accounting methods may be used to estimate value to the current owner.

- business value to potential customer – What can the potential customer do with this patent that they can not do without this patent?  Traditional accounting methods may help, but the seller normally does not have access to the potential customer’s information.

You also need to speculate on the cost of developing technology or business strategy that by-passes the patent claims.  Additionally, you need to obtain legal opinions on the “strength of the patent”, i.e. the likelihood of the patentee prevailing in an infringement suit (even though there may currently be no infringement).

As with most things, the only way to determine what something is worth is to actually sell it.

There are books available on the subject.  If this is important to you, read several, and hire a consultant that specializes in technology transfer.

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #2 on: Jun 28th, 2005, 2:48pm »

You might also check the archives.  I didn't look at Richard's post, but I'm sure it's good as usual.  However, I'd swear I just posted a really long answer to a very similar question within the last couple of weeks.

Regards.

P.S.  Found it:
http://www.intelproplaw.com/Forum/Forum.cgi?board=licensing;action=displ ay;num=1118295981
[TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/dy5hg]
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2005, 12:42pm by JimIvey » IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Rick Neifeld
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24th, 2007, 6:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I should see the web site named PatentValuePredictor for automated valuations.  Or, google my name, I am the president of that site.  Rick Neifeld, Patent Attorney
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »