The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 19th, 2019, 6:17pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Infringement
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Can verifying patent claims contitute infringement
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can verifying patent claims contitute infringement  (Read 1085 times)
Isaac

Re: Can verifying patent claims contitute infringe
« Reply #5 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:42pm, Wiscagent wrote:
- patent laws don't apply to the states;

More precisely, the patent laws apply to the states, but you cannot sue a state for patent infringement in federal court unless the state waives its immunity.  You cannot sue for patent infringement in state court.   Often there is simply no forum to sue a state.

Quote:
- the (narrow) research exception applies;

The research exception is extremely narrow.   See the 2002 CAFC case in which Duke University attempted unsuccessfully to invoke the research exception.  The activity A person with an economic interest in the result most likely fall outside of the research exception.  

Quote:
- you've been selling the product since a year before the patent was applied for

I think the exception you are describing is only for patents drawn to methods of doing business.
IP Logged

Isaac
Wiscagent

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:09am »

Isaac -

Please pardon the lack of precision in my earlier post.  The main point I was trying to convey is that simply because someone practices someone else's patent doesn't mean that the "infringer"  is likely to be sued; and there are both legal reasons and practical business reasons why not.

By the way ... if a process patent isn't a "business method" patent, why would the applicant have applied for the patent in the first place?
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Isaac

« Reply #7 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:12pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:09am, Wiscagent wrote:
By the way ... if a process patent isn't a "business method" patent, why would the applicant have applied for the patent in the first place?

Good question.  I wonder if there have been any court cases that cast light on what a 'method of doing business' really is.   About all I'd be willing to say about it is that whatever method was claimed in State Street is probably subject to the exception.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »