The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 17th, 2019, 12:04am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Infringement
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Configuration of product and infringment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Configuration of product and infringment  (Read 523 times)
AAKKdoublesuited

Configuration of product and infringment
« on: Sep 9th, 2007, 2:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Let's assume Company X sells a product that does not infringe the claims on a certain patent.  However, Company Y purchases the product from Company X and configures it so that it does infringe.  

I understand that Company Y is liable for direct infringement and that Company X is only liable for inducing infringement if it tells/encourages Company Y to modify it to perform the invention of the patent.  Additionally, Company X may be liable for contributory infringement of a method claim in the product has no staple use.

However, lets assume Company Y contracts Company X to modify the product after the sale to perform the invention covered by another claim.  Under these facts, is there any way Company X can avoid infringement (i.e. direct, contributory, and inducing)?

I can't think of any way in the event of a product claim, as their altering the product constitutes a "making", correct?  However, if it is a method claim, are they then liable for inducement or contributory infringement for altering the product?
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2007, 2:18pm by AAKKdoublesuited » IP Logged
biopico

Re: Configuration of product and infringment
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 6:37pm »

altering the product may be or may not be within the scope of the claims of the said patent in issue?
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
AAKKdoublesuited

« Reply #2 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 6:40pm »

So let's assume it's a method claim.

If Company X modifies the product for use by Company Y to infringe the method claim, then shouldn't Company X be indirectly liable for Company Y's direct infringement?
IP Logged
patent_type

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 12:12pm »

As a general proposition, if Company X makes a product to Company Y's specification, and that product infringes a third party patent, Company Y will be deemed to indemnify Company X for the infringement.  There is also likely to be some provision to that effect in the contract between Company X and Company Y.  But Company X is still infringing.  See, e.g., UCC 2-312(3) (last half).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-312.html

If Company X has much deeper pockets than Company Y, Company X might bear the primary brunt of an infringement claim.

Not legal advice, blah, blah, blah.  I'm just posting completely random thoughts while taking a break from my 10th grade algebra homework.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2007, 12:16pm by patent_type » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »