The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2019, 2:00am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   drawing corrections
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: drawing corrections  (Read 900 times)
Rather Confused
drawing corrections
« on: Dec 6th, 2007, 9:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi, I have received a notice to file corrected drawings for my utility application.  The reasons given were 1) the drawings are not free of erasures, corrections, etc. and 2) the line quality is too light to be reproduced or the text is illegible.

Both reasons were applied to all of my 40+ informal, hand-sketched drawings, which are admittedly very <ahem> informal.

It seems to me that the most effective way of correcting all the figures would be to simply redo them in CAD, producing clean lines and legible text.  This is what I had planned on doing at a later point in time.

My question is, how closely must the "corrected" drawings follow the original drawings?  Would the change from freehand to CAD, which will inevitable result in small differences, be too large and therefore be seen as an addition of new matter?

Or should I perhaps be trying to simply replace the informal drawings with new, formal ones?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
Jonathan

Re: drawing corrections
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 9:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Your concerns are all good and signals you have handle on things.

I am glad to say that your concerns are pretty much not an issue.

Differences in size from freehand to CAD won't matter unless the figure does indeed depend on proportion - say a graph.

Just make sure the content corresponds.

Going from freehand to CAD won't result in a new matter rejection unless you put some blatant addition in there, which you won't.

Supplying CAD-generated figures is kind of like supplying 'formal' figures.

The lines, no pun intended, have blurred over the last few years as to what the office considers to be 'formal.'

I am not even sure what the basis is for that term is except something that looks pretty.

In the last year or so, though, it seems like the Office of Incoming Patent Examination has been getting persnickety as to what is acceptable - persnickety in a good way, though.

Just make sure you submit figures with sufficiently-thick black lines and all other areas clear of stuff that should not be there and you should be ok.
IP Logged
Rather Confused
Re: drawing corrections
« Reply #2 on: Dec 7th, 2007, 6:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!  The possibility of getting the filing date pushed back because of changes in the drawings makes me very nervous, so your comments are a great help!

Some of the threads on this board referring to replacing informal drawings with formal ones are a little confusing to me after reading in 608.02(b) of the MPEP that the pto no longer considers drawings as "formal" or "informal."  What exactly is the process (form? petition?) to replace the drawings?  Or maybe the messages I'm thinking of are out-of-date.

And one more question, to push my luck a little:  are there any guidelines as to exactly how "thick" drawing lines should be?  I'm trying to stay above 0.4 mm in my new drawings... what do the professional draftsmen out there use?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »