The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 24th, 2020, 7:50pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   terminal disclaimer?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: terminal disclaimer?  (Read 947 times)
perg
terminal disclaimer?
« on: Oct 31st, 2007, 2:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i currently own a patent that was issued more than one year ago.  
now i want to claim several new features which were not disclosed in the first patent. these features would probably be obvious in view of the first patent.
can i still use a terminal disclaimer to overcome my own patent? (issued over a year ago)

if so, what type of application should I file (new? continuation?) can the scope of the new application overlap the patent?  

if not, what is my best course of action at this point.
IP Logged
PA
Re: terminal disclaimer?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 2:33pm »

on Oct 31st, 2007, 2:23pm, perg wrote:
i currently own a patent that was issued more than one year ago.  
now i want to claim several new features which were not disclosed in the first patent. these features would probably be obvious in view of the first patent.
can i still use a terminal disclaimer to overcome my own patent? (issued over a year ago)

if so, what type of application should I file (new? continuation?) can the scope of the new application overlap the patent?  

if not, what is my best course of action at this point.

Since it was issued more than a year ago, your previous patent will be considered prior art if you file a new application.  A double patenting rejection would not be applicable here.
IP Logged
perg
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 2:40pm »

so am i completely out of options?
IP Logged
pentazole

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 3:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You say that your new features would probably be obvious in view of the prior patent, but you also say that these features were not disclosed in the prior patent.  Are you simply assuming the PTO is going to reject them as obvious?  If they're new and patentable, then you can file them as a new application.  It's ok if you embody your previous invention, as long as you have additional novel and patentable features in there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »