The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 18th, 2020, 11:22pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   inventor with dual citizenship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: inventor with dual citizenship  (Read 1572 times)
smgsmc

inventor with dual citizenship
« on: Oct 19th, 2007, 10:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi.  Has anyone come across this screwy situation?  Sounds like a great question to put on the patent bar exam.  I have an inventor with dual citizenship, US and UK.  What do I list on the declaration and power of attorney form?  Couldn't find this instance covered in the MPEP.  My instinct is to put both, but the form says "citizenship".  Will the USPTO bounce it as indefinite because I have "citizenships"?  Or is it OK to list just USA because it will take precedence?  Apparently, this is the first time it's come up at this firm, and no one here knows for sure.  Thanks.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: inventor with dual citizenship
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 4:41pm »

on Oct 19th, 2007, 10:23am, smgsmc wrote:
Hi.  Has anyone come across this screwy situation?  Sounds like a great question to put on the patent bar exam.  I have an inventor with dual citizenship, US and UK.  What do I list on the declaration and power of attorney form?  Couldn't find this instance covered in the MPEP.  My instinct is to put both, but the form says "citizenship".  Will the USPTO bounce it as indefinite because I have "citizenships"?  Or is it OK to list just USA because it will take precedence?  Apparently, this is the first time it's come up at this firm, and no one here knows for sure.  Thanks.

Unless the person in question also has dual addresses, I'd be simply list both in the block, leading off with the one that matches the address.   Something like "USA/UK dual"  

Also, I'd characterize this person as having a single, dual (or multiple) citizenship rather than as having two separate citizenships which removes the problem of having a blank that asks for one.

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2007, 11:22pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
smgsmc

Re: inventor with dual citizenship
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 8:14am »

Thanks, Isaac...as usual.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »